Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got one that Marti says does not exist.

What would you do with this scenario. 67 Mustang fastback with a clean title VIN# 7T02C257XXX. (The last three XXX's put in place of the actual number) The fastback has a replacement door from a 67 T-code coupe so the door tag does not match, plus, botha aprons were replaced during resto and have no VIN's on them. After contacting Marti-autoworks I've been told that no such Mustang was ever produced with that VIN. What would you do???

I wonder how the Sheriff that raided UP would look at this car if it were one of those seized.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
When I registered my '68 vert I was told by the DMV there was no such Mustang.
Fortunately in '68 the 'Stang had the dash VIN as well as the door warrenty, and
fender apron.
All three confirmed that the original title had a typo. Even then the DMV required a
notarized statement from the PO!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I had an 83 Bronco that the DMV had screwed up the VIN on. I bought the truck new and I guess I never paid much attention to the VIN on the registration. I forget how it got noticed. Maybe at a smog check or something. Anyway, it took a whole lot of B.S. to get the DMV to correct their error. They'ed recorded an "S" as a "5" IIRC, and it was sooooo obvious what had happened, but it took those idiots forever to straighten it out.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Right! Same sorta thing on my Stang.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Several things could have caused this problem but the most likely is a clerical error somewhere in the cars past history. I would see about getting the front apron stamped with the vin# shown on the title and get a door tag from Marti showing the numbers for the cars current appearance and options such as (color, trim, engine, tranny and etc.)

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Does the car have any VIN stamped on it that
matches the title? The rear apron where the
hood hinge bolts to?
I wonder if Marti can match your number portion
257XXX with anything, maybe a typo on the plant,
body style or engine, 7F02C, 7F01C, 7F02T etc.

When I bought my 65 fastback the title showed
SF09T when it should be 5F09T, I was able to get
it changed easily just had to have a cop verify
the mistake.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's how I found out there was no such Mustang, through Kevin Marti. He could not do a marti-report sincew he could not ID the car. I was going to have a matching VIN plate made, but there was no info available. I guess I could have a plate made with the options on the car, but I was hoping to document the car. Also, what if someone else buys the car and wants a marti-report??

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
What I was trying to say is if you can see
it Marti would try and see if 7F02C257XXX
was in the data base (F instead of T) since
apparently there must be a typo in your VIN.
Does the title VIN match up with anything on the car?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure he COULD do that, but what if we guess wrong and it happens to come back to a REAL Mustang, but not this exact Mustang?? Then I go and try to get the title to match the "guessed" vin and door tag?? If that happens then technically there could be two Mustang fastbacks with the same VIN!

The car is a blank slate as far as the VIN's go. Title says C code and it is a 289 car, but that's it. It might as well be a Dynacorn body.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think what 65fastback6 is trying to point out is that the obvious error in your VIN is the "T" in the 2nd digit. All '67 Mustang VIN's should begin 7F....... Since your title says 7T that's the error and a pretty obvious typo if you look at a key board. I'm a little surprised someone at Marti Auto didn't point that out. In any case, you'll have a hard road correcting it with no matching stampings left on the body. You might start by doing a title search beginning with the VIN you have now. At some point in the past it has to have had the right VIN because I don't believe it would've left the dealer as a new car with the title not matching the car, or changed hands with the original VIN still on the car and a new title issued without the DMV verifying it but anything is possible. If you can back track thru past title records to find the last one with a 7F VIN number, you can show the DMV the typo and they might correct it without any more hassle.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got title info going back to 1979 and it still has the same VIN back then. The state does not have any title info back that far even though I have the previous title number to this one.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
The records that Marti has are from Ford of course
and we have heard of misstamped VIN's so there can
also be mistakes with paperwork, don't you think?
Does Marti think that he has a perfect data base
with all the cars that were made? Wonder if your
car may have been a test mule for Ford and later
sold...who knows?
Since you have a good clean title then maybe just
have a new apron stamped with the VIN, that seems
like it would be legit, you are not altering the
VIN, it decodes what the car is a 289 fastback right?

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
RagTop said:
I had an 83 Bronco that the DMV had screwed up the VIN on. I bought the truck new and I guess I never paid much attention to the VIN on the registration. I forget how it got noticed. Maybe at a smog check or something. Anyway, it took a whole lot of B.S. to get the DMV to correct their error. They'ed recorded an "S" as a "5" IIRC, and it was sooooo obvious what had happened, but it took those idiots forever to straighten it out.
I had the same thing happen, I had an 85 GMC pick up, & when SWMBO & I moved to Fla after we got married when the truck was titled in Fla they screwed up one of the letters in the vin. Fast foward 4 years later when we moved back to NJ when I went to title it back in NJ they said there was a problem with the vin. I had to get a pencil tracing of the vin # to prove to dmv what the vin # was for the truck.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
RagTop said:
I never really paid attention to registrations either. Bought a brand new 2003 Mach 1 in 2003 and titled it in SC. Since I had a loan on it, the title went to the bank. I moved to VA and got it retitled in VA at around 11,000 miles. When I went to sell the car, one of the potential buyers said his CARFAX report came back with a warning that the odometer had been rolled back. Apparently when the brand spanking new car was titled in SC, it was titled with 13,000 miles, but I never saw the title because it went straight to the bank. Anybody want to guess how much time it took to correct SC DMV's mistake on a VA titled car?

Although I'm using this as an opportunity to vent on an unrelated fiasco, the point is DMV can and does make mistakes, and when they do, YOU have to jump through hoops to fix it.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Rickmaan said:
All '67 Mustang VIN's should begin 7F
The second character is the assembly plant--F for Dearborn, R for San Jose, T for Metuchen. All 3 were still making Mustangs in '67.

Frank

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It is very possible along the lines that someone in the DMV made an error on entering the vin. I see that as a more likely scenario than Marti's records being incorrect.

And crusty is correct, my 67 starts with 7T.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Crustycurmudgeon said:
Rickmaan said:
All '67 Mustang VIN's should begin 7F
The second character is the assembly plant--F for Dearborn, R for San Jose, T for Metuchen. All 3 were still making Mustangs in '67.

Frank
Ooops! Sorry about that. I usually double check my info on things like that but I was trying to add the post quickly on a short break at work and I didn't have any reference on hand. That's what I get for trusting my memory without having any of my books nearby. My Bad! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Well, I guess I would stamp the VIN number on the aprons for registration purposes.

For fun I would try to figure out where the VIN went wrong. They probably didn't stamp a partial VIN on the engine or trans in 67 did they ? You should be able to figure out a rough build date from the components of the car though. The more dates you have the closer you will be able to get to the actual build date. With the date known you should be able to determine a relative VIN# range (I can help with that). If the engine is original you can easily guess the engine code. As far as the plant, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
manyc said:
Well, I guess I would stamp the VIN number on the aprons for registration purposes.

For fun I would try to figure out where the VIN went wrong. They probably didn't stamp a partial VIN on the engine or trans in 67 did they ? You should be able to figure out a rough build date from the components of the car though. The more dates you have the closer you will be able to get to the actual build date. With the date known you should be able to determine a relative VIN# range (I can help with that). If the engine is original you can easily guess the engine code. As far as the plant, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.
how can you get the vin stamped on the apron?
what does Marti have to say about this, has he seen this problem before?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts