Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that bob posted on this last month and got a pretty good thread out of it, but I just crossed paths with something that I thought I might share with you. I picked up a copy of the January 1971 issue of Road & Track (instrumented track test of George Follmer's #16 Bud Moore trans-Am racer!) and found this in a season-end round-up article on the 1970 Trans-Am season:

"Collapsable steering columns could be mandatory. [Jerry] Titus's seat belts and rollbar withstood the force of his crash, but the column was moved back against him. To quote an SCCA official, it's hard to justify not requiring a racing car to be as safe as a road car."

I guess I never knew any of the gory details of Jerry Titus's fatal crash. It would appear that this is not just a theoretical issue. It can (and did) happen here. It probably would be a good idea for all of you guys with 65-67 track whores (and maybe anybody who routinely drives a non-concours 65-67) to find a slot on your to-do list for that collapsable column. If youn revisit last month's thread there is a link to a how-to article. Let's be safe out there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts