Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was there a special formula used for the black paint used on the '69 Mach 1 blacked out hoods? The reason I ask is that the painter told us today that he could paint the hood flat black, but would get water spots and uneven gloss when waxed. He also said he can paint it flat black, then apply a flat drying gloss on top of it. Is this a good method, or is there an original special formula used for this black paint?

Update on the Mach: My dad went and checked on it today, its been around two months since he brought it back in because all the paint was peeling and bubbling. The painter had the entire car painted, and then said there was something wrong with all the panels, so he has now restripped the car and is repainting it /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Oh well, at least he cares for his work

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
there was a textured black paint that was offered by PPG up until the early 1990s when they quit making it (DDL 9381) which was a textured lacquer based black. Unfortunately, quarts of this paint have been popping up on for 500 bucks or more a pop. a good painter can duplicate the paint pretty close if he knows what he is doing when mixing the flattening agent, hardeners, etc.....

randy

·
Registered
766 Posts
i have recently done some test for my Mach 1 blackout bonnet and I found the best way to do it was to ask your paint supllier for a flattening base gel you mix this in with your black paint @ 50/50 with the black paint... Because you mix it in with your 2pac it doesn't stain it is just like you are painting 2pac, i have rubbed grease, degreaser, glass cleaner,polish,armourall, anything that might be in a engine bay or might come into contact with the Bonnet blackout and engine bay.. and none of it stains it just wipes off like normal 2pac paint. Because you put in 50% flattening base it goes off like a normal 2pac paint job and with a factory finish. I have a freind who has a one owner 30,000 miles original Boss 351 never been painted and I compared it to this car and the above formula and finish is so close to tell them apart....
By the way I used Gasarit 22 line paint, I'm sure PPG sell the same system.....So try it for your self and see if it's what you hoped for....Your painter is right as well it can be put into the clear as well but I did it in what they call the solid color. This system is fine as well. but as I said I compared mine to a factory boss and it was perfect.....

G

·
0 Posts
My brother found a supply of the special PPG paint for a little under $200 a qt. His is in the shop right now getting reassembled. But I'd go with the 50/50 flattening gel. Cost a LOT less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts