Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a local garage today. They had a 1966 Mustang Convertible, C code Automatic. This thing was a grey color with a black top. The main reason I stopped was because I needed to measure how far back to place my side mirror. Well, the guy I talked to (I sort of know him) showed me a small Gold plate that he claimed to have found in the car, under the seat or dash or somthing, I can't remember. I saw the plate. It said somthing like "This vehicle was custom built for:" then in a scrip type writing it had a ladys name on it. He told me that he has seen a few of these, and it wasn't all that un-common. Whats the deal here? I have never heard nor seen one in my life. Is this a fake, or what?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
My girlfriend's dad can clear this one up:

Apparently back when the Mustang was still fresh, people would "special order" them like Jamie's dad did. When the Mustang would arrive after so many months of waiting, inside would be a plaque-type thing about 5x8 with those words inscribed! Itwas a way of the dealership to say "thank you for waiting." Pretty interesting... I've never heard of anything like that for 67/68+ Mustangs, just first generations.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Years ago my Dad bought a 67 or 68 Mustang and it had that special plaque mounted on the dash. He bought it off the original owner who had special ordered it and the tag came with the car. It was a Burgandy w/ blk interior car with very few options.
Haven't seen one since.
They are out there.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You can even buy the blank plates on ehay - Item # 1849494808

This particular one is for a Shelby, but they make them for "regular" Mustangs also.......

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7fa25553ed7f846b161bd6d7fb/i-1.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
The 68 Golden Nugget Mustang, a local Seattle area promotion car, buyer got a small dash plaque with the name "Golden Nugget Mustang" a small gold nugget and the new owners name. This was glued on above the radio. I actually met the fellow who made the 421 plaques for the new owners of these promo cars. Am going to have him make me one, as the 2nd owner, to go next to the original owners that is still on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts