Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 1966 Sprint 200 coupe is having a full strip down and paint. The shop is asking for the official paint color and code. The car is a Millionth Mustang special edition and the paint is Silver Blue Metallic. How is this paint different from Y code Silver Blue Poly and does it have it's own code? What can I tell the shop to guide them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
There should be a metal tag riveted to the driver's door. Amongst several other codes there will be a paint code such as the letter Y you referenced. With that letter code and the year model any paint shop should be able to come up with their paint suppliers' code for that color.
This website shows code Y as Silver Blue.
1966 Mustang Paint Colors

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
I have a mustang restoration book that shows the regular Y code for Silver Blue Poly, but also lists among the Special Order Colors for that year (no codes) a Silver Blue Metallic. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
We just went through this on another thread. Poly refers to polychromatic, or metallic. Same thing. Some colors just got a slightly different name depending on which car line it was used on for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silver Blue Poly vs Silver Blue Metallic

My wife's car was originally Tahoe Turquoise, so that doesn't help, but thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm beginning to think that is the case. There is a complete dearth of information about the 'special' colors.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My wife's car was originally Tahoe Turquoise, so that doesn't help, but thank you.
My car is also Tahoe Turquoise, I got a can of leftover paint from the last job when I bought it, PPG labled "Tahoe Turquoise Poly", it was dead-on to the original, and when I had it painted in 1995 the painter used a DuPont I think that was labled "Code U Metallic" . Silver Blue is one of my favorite colors as well. 1966 was bad-*****.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
The car is a Millionth Mustang special edition and the paint is Silver Blue Metallic.
Assuming you have a dash plaque saying its a Millionth edition... what is on the door tag? "Y"?

Is this the same car?

I'm beginning to think that is the case. There is a complete dearth of information about the 'special' colors.
The only special color I see for that edition is Anniversary Gold
. Seeing that only 50 were made and all on the same day it might actually be a special gold, not just a cross over from T-Bird or Lincoln, but that is still possible.
The rest of the MM cars seem to be as option packages available to be had on all the other different car models and colors available.

·
Registered
33,905 Posts
Assuming you have a dash plaque saying its a Millionth edition... what is on the door tag? "Y"?
Is this the same car?
The only special color I see for that edition is Anniversary Gold
. Seeing that only 50 were made and all on the same day it might actually be a special gold, not just a cross over from T-Bird or Lincoln, but that is still possible.
The rest of the MM cars seem to be as option packages available to be had on all the other different car models and colors available.
I'm not aware of any "Millionth Mustang " nameplate installed by Ford. They simply produced the Sprint.
Here's some fun with special paint-
You are visiting The Best 1968 Shelby Webpage !!!

You could also special order paint that was offered by Ford, but not on the Mustang. As a promotion, dealers we sometimes able to sell next years' new colors near the end of the year. Special orders were rare but possible, I recall an article about a 1966 FB GT ordered in International Orange by a business operator who used that as his company color.
My wife's 1966 Sprint 200 coupe is having a full strip down and paint. The shop is asking for the official paint color and code. The car is a Millionth Mustang special edition and the paint is Silver Blue Metallic. How is this paint different from Y code Silver Blue Poly and does it have it's own code? What can I tell the shop to guide them? Thanks
It isn't. Code Y paint was the same on any 66 Mustang. It was the car (package) that was special, not the paint. The Sprint included the 200 cid engine, console, wire wheel covers, body side stripe / quarter trim delete, and chrome-plated air cleaner with Sprint 200 decal. The Sprint could be any color, any transmission, and body style, although most I have see were Nightmist Blue hardtops. I once had a NB convertible Sprint.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I'm not aware of any "Millionth Mustang " nameplate installed by Ford.
Hey, my '66 was made in April....
No pics of one, they were personalized so maybe the second owners ripped them off:) Or a stick on plate that just fell off with the first cleaning.

...to think a V8 Fairlane or Galaxie was just a few hundred more...!:surprise:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, my '66 was made in April....
No pics of one, they were personalized so maybe the second owners ripped them off:) Or a stick on plate that just fell off with the first cleaning.
...to think a V8 Fairlane or Galaxie was just a few hundred more...!:surprise:

All of the ads in your pictures just show Sprint 200s, not the extremely rare ones made for the millionth Mustang event. As mentioned by other posters, the special edition ones had only 50 produced, and "They were painted Anniversary Gold (which had no paint code) and had six-digit DSO codes of 331111". (Quoted from The Gold Rush! The Rarest Hardtop Mustang of them All?).

Sure, the Sprint package was what dealers had available to sell at the time of the millionth Mustang celebration, but a Sprint is not a "millionth Mustang edition". Think of it this way.. it's more like the dealer saying, "We're going to celebrate that 1 million Mustangs have been built, so here's a deal on our current inventory, a Sprint 200."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts