Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a quick search, and can't find anything on the subject, so I'm hoping maybe someone has some info on this. Was there a special, heavier-duty trunk spring for cars with a luggage rack? I added the rack to my '66, and the spring will not hold the trunk up at anything but fully opened. Or are my springs just shot? It's really not that big a deal, as I'm not in there all that much, and it stays fully open just fine, but after it banged my head this morning (I'm surprised that didn't happen LONG ago), it brought the old question to mind again.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
::

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I doubt it. The tension in the rods can be adjusted by placing one end in another hole/receptacle, if you want a bit more tension. I don't think any rod will hold up a deck lid with several pieces of luggage loaded on the rack. ::

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same problrm on a '65. You need to move the spring from the upper slot to the lower slot. Be VERY CAREFUL. The spring is under alot of tension. I managed to release it from the second slot and it "unwound". I couldn't get it back in either slot. The shop manual has a picture of the tool needed to do the job. I wound up making the tool and then it was easy to get it into the bottom slot. Without the tool it probably can't be done. BE VERY CAREFUL.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah...OK, great. That's good to know, I wouldn't have considered that. While I'll never be loading luggage on there, it would be nice if it could hold up its own weight. I'll give the rod repositioning a try. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts