Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the 6 to 8 swap on my 66" Mustang.
It had a 200 inline six in it with a 3spd.

I have been reading that changes in the throttle setup and gas pedal setup linkage need to be changed.. maybe more?

Could someone tell me what parts iam going to order in order to complete this step of the swap?

Thanks for the help!

-David

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You need the accelerator rod and pedal from a '66 v8 (I believe the '67 and '68 used the same, but not sure). You'll have to find this used somewhere, as they are reproduced in the aftermarket world. Then you'll need the rod that goes from the accelerator rod to the carb (sold at all Mustang shops). Since you're going with a 3 speed, you could also use the '65 V8 setup (kickdown is different on the '65, but you won't be needing that).

You'll likely have to drill holes in the firewall for where it comes through, since it doesn't use the same holes as does the throttle cable for an I-6.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
you need the linkage for a V8. i just swapped mine and there were holes already to accept the setup. i had a parts car that alowed me to see where it went

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
67 and 68's are the same.

Darn, I threw a 65 unit out, as I thought no one would ever need it.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you are sticking with a manual trans, I hope you aren't planning on reusing the I6's three speed, I don't think it would bolt up to a V8 clutch bell housing and it wouldn't last too long behind a V8 nyway (the V8's three speeds weren't so great either).

The only difference between the '66's and '65 accelerator pedal rod assembly is that the '66 had an extra arm welded to if if it was for a car with an auto trans - You can use it for a manual trans car, just lop off the extra arm. The Mustang parts place sells the fire wall rubber boot which goes around the rod as it passes through the firewall. You'll also need the special clip which secures the throttle rod to the carburetor linkage (any Mustang parts store has it).

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Better swap out the differential while you're at it - That 7 1/2" rear will snap like a twig with a V8 pushing against it. heck, my inline 6 blew the u-joints right out of it. (Conveniently resulting in a nice Detroit Locker 8.25")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts