Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..new to the forum. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I couldn't find anything on point as there are a lot of posts with similar titles. My question is..I owned a 1964.5 Mustang in Miami in the early 1990s and it was sold in the mid-90s. Does anyone know of a service that can track an old 11-digit VIN and tell me 1) if the car is still on the road and 2) who currently owns it? I'd love to reach out and see if it is for sale as I'd like to buy it back. Looking for a project car and would love to have my old car back. If not, will have to find something similar.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
We have members in Florida that WILL be a better source of info, but
it seems to me that you personally may be able to find out if the car
is still actively registered at the DMV. My guess is that unless you
have legal need to know, that'll be about as far as you will get.

I actually bought my truck in Florida and had contact with the
DMV because I dragged the seller there to quiz them on title
transfer. It definitely wasn't like the Calif DMV but they weren't
non-professional by any means. In CA I doubt you'd get the time
of day regarding ANY info about someone else's VIN.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello..new to the forum. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I couldn't find anything on point as there are a lot of posts with similar titles. My question is..I owned a 1964.5 Mustang in Miami in the early 1990s and it was sold in the mid-90s. Does anyone know of a service that can track an old 11-digit VIN and tell me 1) if the car is still on the road and 2) who currently owns it? I'd love to reach out and see if it is for sale as I'd like to buy it back. Looking for a project car and would love to have my old car back. If not, will have to find something similar.

Thanks in advance.
timnoles, Florida has the VIN check even though it doesnt give much back. https://services.flhsmv.gov/mvcheckweb/

Was this car a coupe? I remember years ago when i had bought my 66 coupe down in homestead, i had met a guy in Hialeah that had a 64.5 im pretty sure it was a coupe with a 260 and auto tranny. Name was Frank that all i remember as that was a while ago.

Hope you are talking about Miami Florida that is lol:grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,936 Posts
Somebody posted a website here a few months ago where you can check to see if a VIN is still active. That's the extent of the info provided but if the VIN's active you can hire a PI to use his "contacts" to find out more for you.

Unfortunately I don't remember the website but somebody will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes..Miami, FL. That site did generate a hit, but the registration expiration date was March of 2000. Does that mean it is likely no longer on the road? :(

It was a coupe. Straight six. Red with black interior. Not a show car, but it was definitely updated and used as a daily driver. It was probably sold in Miami (Pinecrest area) around 1992?

I have reached out to a PI in FL to see what they would charge to research it a bit more. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yes..Miami, FL. That site did generate a hit, but the registration expiration date was March of 2000. Does that mean it is likely no longer on the road? :(
Possibility that it is no longer in Florida but registered in another state.

Did you "Google" the VIN? You might get lucky.

John

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't know the law in Florida, but where I am it means the car can not be driven on public roads. It could be sitting in a garage/field or have been converted to a drag car or used only on private property. It could also have been moved out of state to a state that doesn't register older cars.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Somebody posted a website here a few months ago where you can check to see if a VIN is still active. That's the extent of the info provided but if the VIN's active you can hire a PI to use his "contacts" to find out more for you.

Unfortunately I don't remember the website but somebody will.

Is this the site you were thinking of: https://www.instavin.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts