Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, it has been a long time since my last post, too much overtime at work and a trip FL with the wife and kids.
So on with my queston. Speedo stopped working about a month
ago, replaced the cable, sill did not work, then the gear,
speedo startes to work in 1st gear and then goes to "0" when going into 2nd gear and stays there. I did change the
tras. oil to syn. oil about a year ago could this be my
problem????

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I doubt the oil would make any difference . What you can try is to remove the speedo cable from the back of the head and see if you can spin the cable, if you can then the gear is not seated or is stripped.If not, then try spinning the internal area of the speedo head , insert an allen wrench the same size as the end of the cable and twirl it between your fingers. See if the needle works. If the head end is good the problem is below.If the bottom is seated right , gear in the right way, and it cannot be turned freely then the problen is the head. This is assuming the cable is good of course. Check and see if the cable ends are not rounded or broken as well, this can be done by spinning one end and watch the other to see if it moves the same.
If everything works properly in these 3 areas then the problem could be internal.
Make sure the speedo end of the cable goes all the way into the head, if it is not in far enough then that can cause a problem.
Don

1 - 2 of 2 Posts