Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All;

Before I put the car away for the winter (about a month and a half ago), I took the in-laws for a quick drive and I noticed that the speedo was going backwards. I had not noticed this before as I myself have only driven it about 100 km's since owning it. Other than the main issue of not having a true mileage on the car is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Is it a simple fix or does it need to go to a speedo shop next spring?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Are you saying it goes below zero? I have never heard of that one but I can't believe it can be anything other than the speedo itself. Any changes to the car? Transmission swaps or anything?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made a mistake - Odometer

My apologies folks. I was tired yesterday and made a mistake.

It is the odometer I am talking about not the speedometer. The numbers on the odometer were actually going backwards (decreasing instead of increasing).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It is the odometer I am talking about not the speedometer. The numbers on the odometer were actually going backwards (decreasing instead of increasing).
Hey, that could be a good thing. Right? I remember the old days when someone would take a drill and run the cable in reverse to "lower" the mileage on a used car. It seems the used car lots were the most liable for this little trick. I seem to remember that sometime, along about the mid 70's, the speedometers were changed so that little red lines would come up between the numbers is someone tried that. I think there is someone out there that rebuild these speedometers? I think it's this guy. Repair Restoration for 1965 1966 Mustang Instruments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That guy in the link has always had great praise from people on the forum. You could give him a call and he could probably tell you what it is over the phone. The only reason I know of for setting to zero has been when someone has an engine rebuilt and they used the zero to start counting miles on the engine after said rebuild. I wouldn't do it, but some have. I got tired of trying to find the correct combination of speedo gear for my AOD in the '66 so I just changed to an electronic/gps speedo. Works really nice.

·
Registered
34,684 Posts
Thanks for the link. What would be the purpose of resetting it to zero? Is this something that is recommended?
No need to reset, unless maybe to an estimate of what the actual reading SHOULD be, but I referenced the article on how to remove the odometer wheels so you could clean and lube then re-assemble. I'm guessing something is maybe sticking?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts