Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just figured out why my speedometer wasn't working!
The cable was broken and when I removed it, there was no gear on the end.
Can anyone help me determine what size gear(#teeth) I need to order with the new cable?

It's from a 67 coupe, 289 2bbl with automatic transmission.
I know it would help if I had more tranny info, but I'm not sure how to tell which a/t I have. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You will need to know the rear end gear ratio to get the correct part. There might be a tag on your rear, look on the driver side attached to one of the bolts. It might be pretty dirty so you might have to clean it pretty good to read it ( or even find it!)
You will also need to know if you have a C4, that tag would be on the passanger side.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If it hasn't been changed, it's a C-4.

All the C-4 automatics have the drive gear machined into the tailshaft. Make sure the speedometer head isn't frozen when you install the new cable and gear.

Speedometer chart here...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, here's what I know for now.
I changed my rear tires to BFG 215/70/15s
The tranny hasn't been changed so I'll assume it's a C4
I'll check the gear size tonight I'm pretty sure I have an 8" stock rear. Unfortunately, I don't recall seeing an ID tag on the rear.

You opened another issue, how can I check that the speedometer head isn't frozen? Is that on the tranny side or the speedometer side?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You opened another issue, how can I check that the speedometer head isn't frozen?

When you remove the old speedometer cable from the back of the gauge cluster, you should be able to turn the gear on the back of the speedometer.

It would be a good idea to replace the gauge bulbs and install a new gauge voltage regulator (voltage reducer).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Art
I'll check the gear on back of the speedo

I'll also be sure to replace the gauge voltage regulator(I notice many posts regarding this) and light bulbs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK here's the latest info....
Can someone use this info to tell me what size (teeth) speedometer gear I need to order with a new speedo cable?

289 2bbl
Rear Tire Size - P225/60/R15
Automatic Transmission - C4
Rear End Code - 0
Rear End Ratio - 2.79:1

Again, Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts