Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can help out-I have replaced the speedometer cable on my 65 Mustang C4 twice along with the 16 tooth gear and it still leaks oil from the crimped area. I have used permatex and other adhesives to stop the leak, but it still continues. Thanks!

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
To get a proper seal on this item, you will need to unplug it from the transmission, clean it thoroughly with parts cleaner, and soak sealant into the connection, letting it hang downward to maximize penetration of the sealant.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
There should not be "oil", transmission fluid, or anything else inside of a speedometer cable. The leak may be inside the sender on the transmission.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There should not be "oil", transmission fluid, or anything else inside of a speedometer cable. The leak may be inside the sender on the transmission.
I agree. Transmission oil should not be entering the speedometer cable at all.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Mine was leaking from a small burn on the outer sheathing on the cable. I bought another cable to replace it but it didn't snap into the speedometer fully so I went back to the leaky cable but I used this tape that's like electrical tape but it doesn't have adhesive but it sticks to itself and wrapped around a few times and it stopped the leak. Not sure if something like that would work for you since you have limited space by the crimp.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You're probably draining all the oil out of your speedometer head. If you lose it all, you won't be able to go over 15 mph. Seriously though, if you're getting oil/whatever out of the housing, it had to be whatever lube was put into the cable from the speedometer end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts