Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi dougstanger here
every time i take my instrument panel out i lose skin.
its when i have to unscrew the nut for the speedo cable.
i am sure its the original cable. is it suppose to be so
cramped, cable not long enough. is that the normal
hassle you friends have experienced?
later

douglas rhine of nebraska
the man with the sad dog face

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it's org/ cable, it may be camp down, under neath, or at the fire wall, just follow it down, and you'll be able to pull up some extra inch or so.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Know the feeling. Hardest part for me is to get the damn bezel to go back in flush. There should be enough slack to put it back pretty easy, if not, figure out why not.

If I might suggest that since you have it opened up that you lube the cable to keep the pointer smooth. I didn't do this so now my MPH pointer looks like it has palsy.

J. Boggs

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574992&a=11972962&p=43108527.jpg

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Know the feeling. Hardest part for me is to get the damn bezel to go back in flush. There should be enough slack to put it back pretty easy, if not, figure out why not.

If I might suggest that since you have it opened up that you lube the cable to keep the pointer smooth. I didn't do this so now my MPH pointer looks like it has palsy.

J. Boggs

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just put a reworked cluster back in yesterday, and have yet to get the dang cable to thread properly. I finally gave it up yesterday, and will try again today. I found that I could get a better grip on the cable by putting my hand through where the heater controls go, but still couldn't get the darn thing to thread. I'll look and see if I'm binding anywhere underneath when I try today.

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility
1968 coupe "Jedstang" for the soon to be 16 y/o boy

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Check the routing of the cable you maybe able to pull it and re-route it and gain some slake.... I gained about 4 inches...piece of cake .....now.

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
There is a clamp on thr frame under the master cylinder, loosen it and pull towards the firewall, may gain you a little extra length. Like mentioned before, best access is through the heater control opening. Your hand should fit in there and you should be able to remove the nut with your fingers.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

1 - 7 of 7 Posts