Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a stock speedometer cable for my 289. Installed it and the speedometer needle just 'jumped' around somewhere near my actual speed. Any idea what's causing this? I checked all of the connections and everything seems fine. All I can figure is that the 4 speed that is in the car isn't stock and it's screwing something up. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Check the speedo gear on the end of the cable. If it was meant for a C4 and was stuffed into a toploader 4 spd, the center would be chewed up a bit which would cause the needle jumping. If this is the case, you will need to replace it with one meant for a manual transmission.

C4s and toploaders use speedo gear whose teeth have opposite
pitch.

I'm assuming the speedo cable inside the casing is already lubricated. It requires a special lube which could be found at any auto parts store.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Double check that your cable isn't kinked or twisted, it could be binding internally. If everything is good there, then check your driven gear(end of cable), and I would also check the drive gear(in tranny) as well. If it's chewed up, you will need to replace it. Hopefully thats not the case, as the drive gears are hard to find anymore. Had a dealership order the wrong one 3 times, before they had a steel gear made for me. Guess they got tired of seeing me all the time. ::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts