Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.Just got cleaned up after spending the day on my back cleaning the underside of the car.A month ago if anyone had told me that they had spent the day under their car scrubbing with a tooth brush,I'd have said they were crazy.I enjoyed the work though and it's begining to look good.
I started the car for the first time scince 1972.It ran good but overheated.The water pump was leaking and coolant was spraying through pinholes in the thermostat housing.I pulled the thermostat housing ad it split in two when I loosend the first bolt.Seems the car has set with coolant in it all these years and reacted with the aluminum.The hosing and the water passages in the front cover were clogged solid.The front cover will be OK and the block cleaned out as well.I also think the radiator will be OK.
Here is the link to some pictures of the car.
http://members14.clubphoto.com/michael609614/842359/owner-7aef.phtml

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Wow, 10k plus miles, 1972, and it looks like that!!! I'm jealous /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good luck with your car. Keep us posted on the progress.

I too spend my weekend on my back, but my time was spent wrestling old tie rods out of spindles and the like while removing the front suspension for a rebuild. I was tempted to get after it with the wire brush, but since it is my daily driver that will have to wait for another time.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would advise putting some oil in the cylinders and in the gas(I like marvel mystery oil)to avoid damaging the rings.The rings are likely stuck to the pistons and you'll probably get blowby.It would be interesting to hear how you found this car.Let us know as things progress...

·
Registered
532 Posts
WOW! Nice car! I do think you will have a few bugs to work out though after sitting that long. I think you wil find it is worth it though./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Very Nice, Are you going to show it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts