Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else spend the weekend lying under their car and dash area?? I spent pretty much the entire weekend dis-assembling, cleaning, re-painting and re-assembling the '65 handbrake mechanism I got from the salvage yard. It was a little bit tricky putting everything back together, then installing it in the coupe.

Overall, the assembly is in very good condition and just needed freshened up a bit. The backside of the mechanism which bolts onto the firewall fit well also. I was happy for that since that area of the firewall between the bolt holes is the splice line where I welded in the firewall patch piece last fall.

What did you all do?? SWMBO and I also celebrated our 17th anniversary last night.... Things just keep getting better all the time./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Spent the weekend pulling out old carpet (wrong color even!!!) and installing new carpet in my 71 coupe grande. Also dyed replacement door panels to replace torn ones that were in the car. Found out that the rear half of the pass side floor pan is going to have to be replaced (rot)...always something...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Went to a U-Pick...struck out/forums/images/icons/frown.gif, then pulled out the sawzall and started hacking at the U-bolts holding the axle on. Got them off lickety split. Then removed one front leaf bolt with a socket/forums/images/icons/smile.gif, couldn't believe it was not rusted solid. However, the passenger side is another story. Spent about 1 1/2 hrs with the sawzall, still not off. I'm tired, cranky, hungry, and I need a cold beer /forums/images/icons/mad.gif. I'll get that *&#^# yet!!

Gregg

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I have the same project on my to do list. The lever in my '65 fastback doesn't even move...needless to say the parking brake doesn't work. I think there are parts missing underneath...not sure.

How far should that lever move? Several inches?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Got my front disc brake calipers back on and system bled. First time ever for all of that, and it seems I passed the test. Even though I about melted while working, I did feel very accomplished when I was done and the brakes still functioned ! Dickson

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pulled the rear end out of my 70 Mach. Pulled everything in one shot. This car has never been apart and I was lucky that all of the bolts & nuts came off with very little trouble. Going to have the differental gone through and clean up every part prior to install. When I got the thing cleaned up it looked like a tagging had hit it. Yellow and white numbers everywhere. I just wish I knew what they all mean. Took lots of pics to try and copy after cleaning.
Rick

·
Registered
242 Posts
Loaded up the family and the four wheelers and went over to Ponce De Leon Fl. and spent the weekend riding and swimming. First time there but we probably won't go back, Too much cussin and beer drinkin going on for me. Spent Sat. nite listening to the Noles pull one out against ISU. Thought we were going to blow it there at the end. FSU38-ISU31

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Spent 9 hours on saturday preping the body of my daughters 92 vert for painting on Monday (lots of little dents and two big one's.) Glad I spend most of my time at a bodyshop, have learned a lot of little tricks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Today I went to look at a 1930 Tudor that is for sale. Price is right and SWMBO says its okay to buy another, so may add that to the list. Body is perfect, running gear needs rebuild, so its a candidate.

Congrats on the 17 years!!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Clenaed out the garage. Big challenge.

The 'stang has been gone for 5 weeks now (don't ask) for an engine swap (if you can call it that , worn out 289-2v for a 331-Aussie headed,completley altered drive train etc. etc).

Amazing how the bikes, boxes and jogging strollers had taken over the space for my 'stang.

It should be ready by the end of next week (having a rebuilt, race ready C-4 built/ installed). Can't wait, but then again I've been waiting for months haven't I ?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys ROCK!!! What an ambitious bunch! Wrench turning and 4 wheeling sounds like a good way to pass the dog days of summer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

In response to your question bbenthin, check underneath to see if the cable system is hooked up. Mine isn't. The ratchet notches on the handle shaft allows the handle to be pulled out about 8", if that is correct. I'm sure that depends on adjustment issues too. First make sure your handle shaft and the tube housing are not stuck together. If they are free, the problem may be at the brakes themselves or the cabling in between.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Rebuilt the instrument panel, painted it and I'll re-assemble it tomorrow, I also celebrated our 23th anniversity. Went out and saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding. A great movie! really funny.
Dave

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,847 Posts
I spent the weekend preparing and moving my daughter into her dorm. Third floor, no air conditioning and 96 degree heat! I sweat a small ocean (SALT WATER, get it/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif). Plus a few salty tears on the long drive home cause daddy's little girl is gone/forums/images/icons/frown.gif. I spent the week prior crawling around gutting and insulating and isolating a rattle in my 65. Now I need to get it in tip top shape so I can go visit my little college queen/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Spent 3 hours Saturday replacing the driver side simulated scoop on the '68. Next weekend I'll tackle the passenger's side /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Shouldnt be a problem now, most of the time spent was trying to figure everything out and putting the 1/4 tracks back together once they fell apart. Then cleaned the whole car up Sunday and drove it around a while. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I installed the explorer rear disc setup on the 9 inch

very nice and simple setup.....with the E-brake brackets and all....

Then proceeded to grille some cheesy bavarian and cajun links
and pan sauteed some diced squash, red and yellow diced bell pepper, tomtatoes and chopped basil in some olive oil....and made some killer link dogs....

And for drinks there was Ice cold Corona and Orange San Pellegrino Italian sodas.

it was soooo good....wish you guys were there!!! maybe next hot aug nights ya'll can taste my cookin!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Injured myself greatly one more time! My right forearm has a big goose egg and bruise on it from allowing a wrench to fly off one of the export brace/firewall bolts. My forearm caught the hood hinge...ouch! Thats not the half of it. My right foot is still sore from getting an infection from a cut off shred of copper wire. That was two weeks ago and after the Tetanus shot and the anti-inflammatory and the course of antibiotics it doesn't feel quite as bad. The worst part now is bunging the back of my left hand on God knows what. It is swollen up right now and hurts like hell when I type. I gotta stop working on that '65 soon!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have the same project on my to do list. The lever in my '65 fastback doesn't even move...needless to say the parking brake doesn't work. I think there are parts missing underneath...not sure. "How far should that lever move? Several inches? Brian"

Mine was in terrible shape for lack of lubrication and wear on the pawl. I took it out (easy job) leaving cable in (cable disconnects by removing clevis pin and wheel then rotating handle until the swage ball is visible. Pluck it out and the handle comes out of the car. Once out, disassemble, clean and lubricate. Mine had a little hairspring on the locking pawl. I used a grinding wheel to sharpen up the pawl a bit (you could see wear in the center area) and made it flat once more. After reassembly it works great. With e-brakes adjusted the stroke is about 3".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts