Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Uh, is it safe to post anything on license plates yet? :p)

My plates are back from Billy at Mojo Artworks. I mailed them Priority on August 20, and got them back today... for a round trip time of exactly the three weeks promised.

They look great! Not perfect, I should emphasize - there is a little waviness here and there and the edges are slightly rippled, but all the dings, scrapes, edge notches and rust are gone and the finish is excellent. I think it's very much a matter of him stopping before overworking the metal. He also didn't touch the original rectangular die outlines so common on older plates.

No question, if you want perfect "concours-grade" plates, Darryl's is the place to go. However, at $150-200 and a solid year for the work, Mojo's ninety-five percent job for $100 and three weeks looks damned good.

I am absolutely, 100% happy with the results as "excellent driver" to "good street machine" grade.

So those of you with ratty plates on your drivers might want to consider a spiff-up for Xmas, while you can let the 'Stang sit for a month.

B/A pics on the DB web site (Miscellaneous page) by this evening. The plates whiffed unbearably of lacquer and seemed to have that faintly tacky feel - I think he shipped them as soon as he could after completion, because I asked him to. So a good hot sun bath is underway (surface temps are a good 140-150 degrees!) and after a few hours baking I will polish the fingerprints off and take some photos.

K

·
0 Posts
Only a car guy would get excited about his plates being painted and take pictures of them. :: :: ::

Wanna see pics of mine?....had them done by Mojo too this past winter. ::

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
I'd like to see both of them! I'm considering the same job...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hold on a second! You mean to tell me that there are actually people who willingly pay $100-150 to have plates "restored-refinished"? OMG! I must be missing something...how hard can it possibly be to clean, straighten, paint a set of old plates? For that matter you can find a pair of pristine plates on Ebay for $14.00. I did...1970 Maryland plates..still in the DMV envelope..$14.00 american....A can of primer,a can of paint, and a bottle of paint with a detail brush...a tad bit of metal maintenance....$150 OMG!

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Time vs. money and skills. Some of us have limited time, and decide to pay someone to do something we have no experience with or just don't want to do.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hold on a second! You mean to tell me that there are actually people who willingly pay $100-150 to have plates "restored-refinished"? OMG! I must be missing something...how hard can it possibly be to clean, straighten, paint a set of old plates? For that matter you can find a pair of pristine plates on Ebay for $14.00. I did...1970 Maryland plates..still in the DMV envelope..$14.00 american....A can of primer,a can of paint, and a bottle of paint with a detail brush...a tad bit of metal maintenance....$150 OMG!
First, California doesn't permit use of substitute plates except for much older cars (1950, or maybe 1945 - couldn't find it again on the web site.) So you either have your original plates, or newly issued ones.

Part of it is time, as someone noted. I don't really have the tools or time to do the job, and have already acquired enough one-use tools for a while.

And part of it is skill - while getting things to the base coat stage isn't too hard, getting nice clear lettering and lines takes acquired and innate skill. As a graphic designer, I have much of that skill but I'd still probably have to blow the plates clean and start over several times to get an acceptable finish.

$100, flat rate, return shipping included, was a bargain.

Pix are up, by the way.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow, they look great! Are those the original plates for your specific car?

When I bought my car, as with most, it came with a box full of old misc parts. In the box was an old license plate with a number and "Ohio 1964" at the bottom. I'm assuming it's the original for the car. I't in pretty good shape, so I decided to hang it on the front valance.

Restoring it sounds like a fu nidea if I get some extra money. Can you give me the contact info of the place you used?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hey! At $150 a set of restored license plates imagine what a dent we could put in the state budget deficit if we just had prisoners doing refurbs of old CA plates (or any other state that was sent to them)? Nah. That would cut into their time in the weight room and the law library.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, they look great! Are those the original plates for your specific car?
Yup, issued in July 1968. Even survived both thefts - pretty odd and lucky.

Restoring it sounds like a fu nidea if I get some extra money. Can you give me the contact info of the place you used?
Mojo Artworks - it's on the web page as well.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Im censoring myself on this one. ::

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Holy crap Jim, those things look great!

·
Registered
861 Posts
WOW, they really do great work. I think once I get around to finishing everything I may send mine away, I wonder if they also do dealer plate frames.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if they also do dealer plate frames.
You can probably do those yourself. Get them bead-blasted and rechromed (or other plating - cad if they were dull), then fill the BG with enamel and wipe the edges with a damp thinner rag when the paint is half-dry, then carefully paint the letter tops white or whatever. (That matches most of the old plate rims I've seen, anyway.) You have the advantage of natural casting edges to work with, unlike the plates where getting a clean line can be tough.

I keep looking for a set of the original dealer plates for mine - Starr Ford in Roseville CA, changed names twice since 1972 - but I haven't lucked into a set yet! I even ran an ad in 11 of the area papers (a chain of tiny papers covering most of the small towns surrounding Roseville - was free), hoping to catch some old salesman, owner or car-owner... but no luck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I will keep an eye out for a set. About a month ago I saw a set of my dealer plates on a Cal mustang (parts car)on Ebay. So it may be worth to take at look at some 60 to 70 Cal fords on ebay some may still have original dealer plates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts