Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a week or so ago I asked a question about a spindle (steering knuckle )
I found thatthe '66 289 ( drum brake )I'm rstoring has 2 different spindles : LH : normal STD spindle .
RH : completely identical , same geometry , same dia. hole for steering linkage , but thicker ( larger bearing dia. )
It was suggested I had a RH '70 spindle and that the best solution was to find a matching LH spindle .
I found a '70 LH spindle but it is different from the spindle I have : the steering arm is about 1/2 inch shorter and the hole for the steering linkage is bigger.
So my question is : From what car is my RH Spindle ?
To sum it up : It is identical with a 65 -66 V8 spindle , small hole for steering linkage ,but thicker bearings .
Casting numbers (as far as I can make out ) : C9ZJ and 3(8?)107A(F?) Also a stamped F at the back of the flange .
Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Casting numbers (as far as I can make out ) : C9ZJ and 3(8?)107A(F?)
With a '69 part number, it definately isn't a '65/'66 spindle. It's not a '69 Mustang spindle, as they are exactly like the '70 Mustang spindles except for the size of the hole for tie rod spindle.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Clovis,
This is very interesting. If I may, I'll paraphrase your spindle problem. You have two types of drum spindles on your 66 Mustang. You have 1 spindle with the standard small pin, the pin being the part that the bearing fits upon. The other has the larger pin that was introduced to Mustang in 1970. They have the same size of tapered outer tie rod mounting hole. The spindle with the larger pin has a part number with C9ZJ in it. These two spindle have identical steering arm geometry. You have a replacement 70 spindle that has a different steering arm geometry and, if I read your post correctly, has a larger tie rod mount hole.

I am not clear from your description which spindle has the shorter steering arm. In fact, the steering arm on a 66 type spindle is about 1/2" longer than 67-73 types. Also a fact, the tapered hole for the outer tie rod on the 66 spindle is smaller than all succeeding spindles. The difference between the 66 and 70's type is not that large and the 66 tie rod stud may appear to fit into the hole of a 70 since they have the same taper. The 66 stud would penetrate too deep into the 70 hole (keep it clean guys).

Did the 69 Boss Mustang have a different spindle which has a large pin but otherwise is a 69 type drum spindles? If so, this spindle would have a smaller tie rod mount hole than 70 type but a little larger than the 66. But this unique spindle would still have the shorter steering arm.

In my mind the C9ZJ spindle is an enigma. I would buy a genuine 66 spindle and be done with the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAG , It is the '70 spindle that is shorter than the ones that are on the car now .
the LH is definitely original ( I have a '65 to compare)
The RH has been replaced by the PO .
It also has the cast fomoco oval , " made in usa " and lower a " 2"
People here say it's not from a Mustang (they know of ).
It's amistery to my .

·
Registered
408 Posts
What you have is the Ford replacement spindle. Ford took the 70 and reamed it for the early tie rods. These were available for a fairly short time in the 70's. You still use the 65-66 tie rod but you have to use 70 bearings AND races, along with 70 nut, washer, & retainer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts