Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone identify the spindles on my car based on these part numbers. I'm trying to purchase the correct tie rod ends but haven't a clue where the PO got these spindles. As best I can tell the spindle part numbers are C80A and 3107C. Thanks in advance. Brian

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Those are two parts of one number: the prefix and the actual part number. The casting number on the spindle is off by two (low) from the actual part number you order.

To answer your question, you need to provide us both numbers of each spindle: either the casting number or the part number. Should look like:
C8OA-3107-C and -3108-B or something like that.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I think Brian is trying to read the casting number the way it's cast into the spindle.
The first line is usually the casting prefix and
second is the basic part number and suffix.
The Ford MPC doesn't list casting numbers for this year and my other sources all like to spell out part numbers, not casting numbers.

Just judging by the cast number it's at least a 68 part.
65-66 spindles had a .448 tie rod taper, the 67-69 a .506 taper and the 70-73 a .534.
But, it's not a 65-66 with that cast number. It's probably not a 70-up either since those usually have a D0ZA or D1ZA cast number.
The narrows it to either a 68 or 69.

You can quickly tell if it's a pre-70 since in 70 the spindle nut went from 3/4 to 13/16.

Doesn't the 67 tie rod fit?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts