Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Im trying to remove the front spindles from my car, and am not having a lot of luck. I first tried a small gear puller on it, not wanting to destroy the ball joint boots, but I only managed to destroy the puller. The I went to the ball joint seperator (big-ass pickle fork) no longer caring about the damn boots, and that won't work either even with pounding around on the spindle and applying liberal amounts of PB blaster. I don't have access to torches (easily anyway) and my car isn't moveable since I took out all of the steering linkage. Any ideas?

G

·
I don't know if you tried this, but with the pickle fork wedged in there good smake the tie rod with a good sized mallet several times. It sometimes takes a good hard wack but they usually come loose. Gotta have the wedge in there good before you hit. Sometimes a couple of wacks and then wacks on the fork will do it in combination. Don't hit the tread end of the tie rod or you will destroy the treads and all.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,482 Posts
I usually hit the cast iron part of the spindle with a BIG hammer. The ball joint is a "taper" fit. If you hit the spindle part just right (pound it hard) it distorts the taper momentarily, allowing the ball joint to drop right out. I've done this many times. The hard part is keeping such a big hammer aimed just right. You don't want to hit anything but the side of the spindle where the ball joint bolts in. It's very tempting to hit the ball joint bolt. Don't. It wont help and you'll just destroy the threads on it. Good luck, sometimes you have to hit it many times from different angles before you hit the "magic spot".

G

·
Another thing you need to do is to incorporate a jack and support under the arms where you are removing the spindle. The force you are applying with the "smacks, wacks, etc." are being transmitted throughout the front end system. You need to get it "backed up" with something rigid before your whale away.

I have found (assuming your car is supported on stands...) is to place a jack with a piece of bar steel right next to, but underneath, the point where you want to remove the stud. Jack up until you have pressure against the bottom surface and then hit down from the top.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If I can't borrow my neighbors air powered pickle fork, I use the regular one, and hit it with a sledge. One or two good
wacks with the 20 pounder usually does it, watch your fingers!!!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I just did that very thing today. The spindles were hard to separate from the tie rod ends too. My problem was hitting the spindle nuts with the fork end of the pickle fork. Once I came round from another angle it came off.....after a lot of pounding. I was not concerned about the rubber boots as mine were shot. For me, the pickle fork did the trick, along with a two pound hammer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts