Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have drum brakes on my 69 right nowI already have a versailles 9 " rear end with disk brakes to take care of the back but now I am trying to figure how I can get out cheapest and most effective for the front.I am curious if I can use the sam espindle from drum to disk and is there a place I can buy 69 disk brake backing plates and caliper mounting brackets. I was thinking about the maverick or Granada conversion but, Hey 69's had disk brakes and I work at O'Reilly's and can get remanufactured parts cheap so I f I can find some hardware and by chance the spindles are the same I will be set. Thanks for you help and assistance, I always hear good solid information from you guys and that makes restoring Mustangs more and mre enjoyable.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
nope, you need different spindles. i recommends mustang disks/spindles because they are nice and big, although if you can figure out these newer "hybrid" conversions people are making, they could be a good option too (probably better)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
The drum spindles are different from the disk spindles. If you use a set of Mustang spindles look for the 70-73 type. They are beefier than the 68-69 spindles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently did a drum-to-disk swap on my 69. At first, I was going to use '73 Mustang spindles that I had lying around, until I found out how outrageously expensive new rotors, calipers, pads and lines were. I also had a Versailles sitting around, and I ended up using these spindles with all new rotors, calipers, pads, and lines (less than half the price of what the '73 hardware would have cost). Mustang Steve (www.mustangsteve.com) sells bushings that allow the use of the versailles spindles with the Mustang lower ball joint stud, by the way.

Anyway, the Granada/Versailles swap is really easy, especially on a '69. You do not have to fabricate any hard lines at the wheels, just attach the Granada-type flex lines and you are ready to go. The hardest part of the job was installing an adjustible proportioning valve (which it turned out I did not need anyway, just had a bad rear wheel cylinder), and the results are unbelievable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts