Vintage Mustang Forums banner

splash guard removal...

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Andycerrone 
#1 ·
My car got caught out in a 4 day downpour, and I noticed some wetness on the drivers flor. not flooded, but a good bit.How do I remove the splash guard??Do I access it thru the wheel well?? I read here this is not to difficult, and will give me plenty of access to the cowl drain hole....Also , how can I check for rust up there??crawl under dash w/ flashlight?? as always, thanks in advance, L ;)

#2 ·
L,
Yes access to remove the splash guards is from the wheel well. It does sound like you might have some cowl rot. Then again it might be windshield leak. Lets hope the latter. Yes crawl under the dash with a flashlight. To test the cowl for leak (clean out your drain holes first) have a friend pour a bucket of water into the cowl vents while you lay under the dash looking for moisture.

If that doesn't reveal moisture, possibly it was the drain vent holes, depending on how badly plugged they were.

Next I would find a way to cover up the cowl maybe via plastic and some towels and wash your windsheld really good, while minimizing the water going into the cowl. Then look again under the dash or on the floor to see if water appears.

So yes, remove splah guards and check for plugged drain holes. Pour water into the cowl to make sure the drains are free and check for new moisture. Then do a windsheld leak test while covering the cowl.

Getting ready for winter........ahhhhhh

#3 ·
Thank you for the response[craig, right??], I also neeed advice on HOW to get the splash guard off, will I see some bolts in the wheel well?? thanks, L

#5 ·
Most of the original splash guards are rotted out anyway, so just use a knive to cut out the original one, unscrew the screws, clean out the leaves and trash, then purchase new splash guards after you have dealt with the rust with POR 15 and paint.

#7 ·
It sounds like you are assuming that the water came in from the wheel well. That is EXTREMELY unlikely. It came in from the cowl or the windshield.

If either the cowl or the windshield is leaking then removing the splash guard won't achieve anything.

#9 ·
Good point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.