Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to put my fenders back on, but before doing so, I wanted to replace the rubber on my splash shields with a kit such as this:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=56572+01&Category=&catkey=EMUSTANG

As far as installation is concerned, do the new staples just slide through the holes in the metal that the old staples went through? Does the rubber have holes in it already?

Are there alternatives to the staples, like small bolts?

Any suggestions from people who have messed with this before is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I just used a couple of sheetmetal screws on mine. Trying to re-use the old staples was a real PITA.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I bought new shields and rubber and used pop rivets because the new shields didn't have holes. I wasn't about to try and drill perfect holes for the staples. If I'd see them before, I would have bought the shields with rubber already installed from Virginia Classic Mustang. The pop rivets worked just fine, though.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It's a bit more expensive, but why not buy the kit that has the rubber already attached to the metal shields? It may be worth the extra couple bucks for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is a am an incredible tightass. lol. :lol:

If it was truly a couple bucks, I probably would save time and go for the pre-assembled ones. However it's a difference between $15 and $60, the business major side of me won't let me pull the trigger. I would rather save money and do the work myself.

I ran into a guy at a swap meet this weekend. He said on his 67, he installed the rubber with some black silicone, let it dry, and then drilled holes every 2 inches and ran tiny bolts through the holes and then used a locking nut on the other side.

Sounds like a bit of work, but sounds like it would hold...

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I've always avoided this by finding nice originals and bead blasting them and painting them. It would bug me to have bolts or rivets but that's just me. Fortunately I live in the south where at least half of the Mustangs still have decent splash shields.

·
Registered
38,177 Posts
One would think that if you remove the splash shields and back them up with a soft wood, like a 2x4 that you might be able to blow a staple through with a gun, then bend the ends over...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
This is a simple one...cause I am a tight $#s too.

I used the kit, staples go into the old hole (you may have to bend each staple to do this), once in the hole put the rubber on top and push down, staple will poke through use pliers (it will not look like the perfect original bend but works great) then move on to the next. Make sure to measure the old ones to the edge to the new once stick out the same length.

PS that was for reusing old shields...new shields would require a tiny drilled holes (lay the old on top to drill the same width.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody. That helps.

I am in the same boat as Mark. My old shields are fine. No bends. No rust. The rubber has just dried and cracked. I figured I should replace the rubber before reinstalling the fender.

I will order the rubber kit in the morning. $15 bucks from Mustangs Unlimited.

I think I will try the installing the staples through the factory holes with a pair of pliers.

If that gets too frustrating, I may try the rivet route.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the shields went on with no trouble. I ended up using the staples that came with the rubber kit. Once the rubber was mounted, and the shields bolted back in place, I started running a few beads of black silicone along the edges to seal it. At that point, I realized that there are gaps in the metal at the top and bottom corners of the shields.

Is it worth my time to try and seal these better?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts