Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ripped of my splash shields because they were falling apart. When I get my new ones, do I use another type of staple to put them in? What's the best way to reattach them?

·
Registered
471 Posts
The new ones should come with new staples as well if not you can order them seperatly and just use the same holes. ::

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Glue them on with 3M, drill through the old staple holes with a 1/16" drill, then stick the staples thru and bend them over.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I cheated and riveted mine on
Probably just another "dangerously installed" item though...

::

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, I have no PO, but I found a really crappy piece of repair work that some body shop did.

I knew the radiator support had been replaced, badly, because I had to cut out the welds on one side, through a layer of rubbery body compound they'd used to hide their crappy work.

The shop doing the body and paint found that they had pop-riveted the other side in before putting in a couple of tack welds and covering it with even more goo. They fixed it - I should note, more or less gratis. They had no reason not to leave it as-is, but fixed it anyway.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I wondered the same thing when trying to reattach the felt moulding to my interior quarter panel trim. They too were stapled so I drilled out the holes, inserted the stapes and bent them over.

I'm sure this will work just as Art described!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Sometime in the future your work will be refered to as , "guess what the PO did to my Mustang."
Undoubtedly ::

K

·
0 Posts
Uh-oh...I'm in trouble. ::I did mine a few months agao and used screws with washers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
heh, i used pop rivets to attach the splash shields as well as the felt on the interior quarters. just drill a 1/8in hole in one of the staple holes

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I also used pop rivets. I painted the rivet heads black so they would not be so obvious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts