Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone know how to spit open the housing on a trac-lok unit for a 9"? I'm talking about the part which holds the spider gears and clutch.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
You need to remove the ring gear and then two small phillips screws to get inside of the unit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTM,

I've done that, but can't figure out how to separate the
two halves. Do you have a method for doing that?

Also, do you know where to find maintenance and repair info for this unit? Online?

Thanks much,
Rob

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Not sure where to find repair info online. Did you have to remove two small screws? Are you sure it is a trac-lock unit? Try to tap on it to get it to seperate. It may just be stuck a little. Are you just trying to look at the clutches to see if they are good or is something else wrong? To remove the spider gears you will need to tap out the roll pins. Be careful when taking it apart so you will know how to put it back together.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi RTM,

I've never done this before... I'm fairly certain it's a trak-lock, but could be wrong. When spinning one axle, the other spun the same way, and I can't spin either axle without spinning the other. The ring and pinion have some pretty good rust on them, but I the spiders appear to be OK.

Inside the unit I see 4 spider gears held in with 3 pins, and metal block. I assume that the clutch is not visable from any of the access holes. I don't see it.

Any way to defniitively ID a trac-lok?

I assume that the two halves split along a plane which runs perpendicular to the the axle centerline, at the widest portion of the housing. I dried tapping on the pin which passes through the axle shaft bore, but no luck...

..| Split here?
..v

..|
..||||||||
|||- ---||||------ CL
..||||||||
..|

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts