Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post earlier tonight about a nice father buying a late model vert for his son. And there was a rant from an individual that basically stated that kids should work for their rides. My reaction is if the kid is responsible and not taking the parent's gift for granted its okay.

So......that being said.
What stories do you have of spoiled rotten kids who got a sweet ride only to trash their gift. I'm not talking nice families here but real pathetic ones that buy their kids whatever they want.

Back in the late 60s my father-in-law did business with a machinery millionaire. This guy bought his teenage son a Gull-wing Mercedes Roadster. Ya know the classic gull-wing car. Well the kid wrapped it around a tree...then he got a Ferrari. Poor kid. :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
yea spoiled kids suck.. i grew up with most of them here in so cal.. my family wasn't poor but definitely not like buying me ferrari type rich. But i have a doozy for you guys...

So my dad about 10 years ago bought my brother.. yes my brother.. a brand new 94 camaro z28 for i believe it was 22000 at the time. tax and license and insurance.. well yea exactly quite a bit... for a graduation present. We all thought it was appropriate since he fulfilled his promise of getting into a top 5 college..

Well about 3 years in I turned 16 and I needed a car. Since he was on the other side of the country where it snows, he couldn't bring out the car. Thus, meaning the car sat unused for about 9 months out of the year. So naturally i started driving it. Well around this time he decides to get married and move to seattle after college. we all knew he wasn't going to drive the Camaro up to Seattle. Plus, at this point the car was starting to fall apart.. good ol GM engineering... Plus, he hated the car by this point. I needed a car so i thought i'd just take over it.. I mean my dad did buy the car and my brother never paid anything for it. so i figured it was going to be a free transfer. Turns out, my brother demanded not asked..but demanded 10000 dollars for the car. WTF is that.. it wasn't even under his name. my dad because he is actually a decent human being and kind thought fine we can give him the 10000 as like a wedding gift. My brother has never acknowledge it more than a bill of sale. So to end this long and possibly incoherent story.. My father spent 30+ g's on a freaking GM car that was sold for 6g's all because my freaking brother is the biggest brat in the world. I might be the young spoiled one, but at least i have enough sense to know when NOT TO CON YOUR OWN FAMILY...

Aww that feels much better. thanks guys.. :) .. oh and I just started talking to the *([email protected](* again.. he is still a condicending *****.. what can you do tho we are family... the great thing about not talking to him for like years is that i didn't have to spend holidays with his in-laws.. OH THANK GOD..

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
About the worst example of a spoiled rotten kid was when I lived in Stockton. His name was Chris Phillips, son of Assistant D.A. John Phillips. He turned 16, and his dad (john) bought him a then-new Mustang GT. He decided one night to go drinking (at 16...) at a friend's house, then drive home. Long story short, he crashed the car - Not into a pole, tree, or curb... Into a house. Didn't kill or maim anyone, but still!

2 weeks later, he rolls up into school in a beautiful early 90's NSX.

How intelligent!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have given my eye teeth to have a new Mustang back in the 60's when I was a teenager. I worked for 50 cents an hour at the drug store to save enough money to buy my worn out used 1951 Chevy. But, I took great pride in it, and learned a lot about auto mechanics with that old rust bucket. Those values are still with me today, and I thank my old man for not giving me everything I wanted.
My own son worked at the bowling alley to save enough to buy his first car. It was a Nissan 240Z and he spent a lot of time with me fixing it up, and keeping it running. As I did, he learned the values and pride of ownership, and so the tradition was passed from father to son as was passed down to me from my dad.
I just think that wealthy fathers give their sons and daughters these valuable gifts because they haven't spent the time with them because of their insationable desire to make big bucks, and don't have the time to spend with them, so feel guilty. What a shame!!!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The worst spolied brat I know is my neighbors kid. Brand new Camaro a couple of years ago. Promptly turned it into a "race" car (by which I mean he races up and down the street at about 65 MPH). It's all banged sup, sounds like sh!t, you get the idea.

18 years old, never had a job, thinks he owns the world. Same kid rolled by one day while I was working on the stang in the garage. Screams out "HA - NICE PARTS CAR!"

He hasn't been around much lately, but has no comments about my car anymore.

Tghis topic is a point of debate between SWMBO and me. We're not rich, but not poor. We have twin 4 year olds. Her idea is to buy them both a car when the time comes. My idea is they work for it, whatever funds they raise get matched. I think kids should have to work for whatever they get. It tends to mean more that way.

Frank

·
Registered
189 Posts
At my school last year there was a senor that had crashed a brand spank'en new BMW, he totaled it. And then like a couple months later they bought him another Brand New BMW. I think this is alittle irresponible of the parents but if they want to throw their money away because they have so much of it, let them.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This thought sends me back to my Sr year in HS. I worked my butt off to buy my 72 Mach 1, which was ok, I took alot of pride in it and took care of it (one of those I wish I still had). Anyway, at the same time a kid, who was known for being somewhat rowdy, is handed a new 83 GT by his parents for his 16th birthday. Throughout the shool year my friends and I watched this guy trash that car. One day he came to school and we noticed the factory traction bars were no longer on the car. His reply to our questioning was, "Oh, I ripped those off on some parking stops cutting through the shopping center. Had to replace 2 tires, too." :: After I graduated I did catch a glimps of him, he was driving a beater. :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well, there was this farmers kid who was given a brand new 68 Ford LTD 2 door ht for his graduation.
some time later that week, he had 4 -5 of us in the car driving down a country road when he saw a deer run into a corn field.
He say let go after it, and proceed's to drive that brand new car into the corn filed after the deer.
The field hadn't been harvested from the fall and the stocks where about the same height as the front hood.
he was driving as fast as he could with out losing control.
Well you can imagine what the front of that car looked like, when it was all said and done he gets out and looks at the front and starts laughing !
He never gave it another thought !
Every so often I see him and he's still the same way and so are his Kids !

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My Dad gave my Sister a `63 Nova (she hated it, said it looked like a Rambler), and a `67 Chevelle SS (seriously sweeet).
I had to buy every car I ever owned. My 1st was a `72 Duster that was totalled and I repaired. I proceeded to beat the livin` bejeezus out of that car! Took it off roading, drove it off a dike, blew motors and trannys...
My sister always treated her cars pretty well, so I guess that theory doesn`t always hold true :p

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Well back when I was a kid, my parents said to me if you want a car you save your money, make sure you buy what you can afford and also you must pay for your own insurance and Matience etc. That car was a 1967 Fastback Aqua Marine with deluxe interior really nice car I paid 1k for it and enjoyed it for years wish I had it back.

That has served me well over the years IMO, I Knew alot of rich kids who parents bought them fancy rides and they never seemed to appreicate them IMO. OH well choclate and Vanilla I guess.

I must say I have plans to leave both my sons one of my cars the 65 to Edward the seven year old and the Boss too Luke my 3 year old, one thing though neither or them get them till there 35 its in the trust that way. When it comes time for them to have cars sure hope they've saved there money as this Daddy gonna do it same way done with me.

Mark

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My junior year in high school the son of the Pontiac dealer turned 16. Dad gave him a brand new 1976 Grand Prix. Kid drives it for 6 months, at which point dad gives him a Trans Am. Kid breaks the tranny in the Trans Am by backing up and dropping it into drive (spins tires better that way). Dad takes away Trans Am and gives him a used Jeep. Kid ends up depositing Jeep in ditch. Dad takes away Jeep and gives him a used Mazda station wagon as punishment. Kid goes out drinking and fills station wagon with vomit. Dad figures kid has learned his lesson and lets him order a new 1977 Trans Am. I gave him a ride to pick it up. It had a scuff mark on the roof and a scratch on the deck lid. Kid is incensed - makes a body man repaint the car that night. Kid drives car out of paint shop at 10:00 that night repainted. All the mechanics at the dealership hated the kid because he would drive up and make them stop what they were doing to wash his car. Kid now owns the Pontiac dealership.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Unfortunately I have to disagree with the general consensus here on this post. When you are living under your parent's roof and they are raising you, it is their responsibility to take care of you. When i was 3 years old they gave me transportation (driving me around to where i wanted to go), they gave me food, and they gave me shelter and clothes, now when you are 17 what is the difference? You are still under there roof, should they not give you what you require to grow into a well rounded human. And now i know everyone is thinking, "why do you need a car to be a good kid?" Well, has anyone ever sat in on a high school class and seen the kid who doesn't talk to anyone and just sits there quite, or atleast remembers one from school. Yes, absolutely no social skills. Without proper transportation, social skills go down the drain, unless the parents drive the kid all over, and i highly doubt that happens. I know with my parents that got boring when i hit high school and they still had to drive me to a freind's house. So now, i believe it is the parents responsibility to also intstill good habits of appreciation and respect. My parents have bought both of my cars, and I appreciate them more than most kids who bought their own ride. I also respect my parents and appreciate that they are taking care of my needs.

·
Registered
966 Posts
This story seems almost universal. Seems most of the kids I went to school with who had a car handed to them either trashed it or wrecked it, only to wind up with a new replacements shortly thereafter. I bought my first car, a '73 coupe. My brother, father, and I worked to mechanically restore the car (they had the wrench-skills, I didn't!). I tell you, once you put blood, sweat, tears, and $$$ into the game, you have a whole new respect for the car. I guess that applies to just about anything, though, doesn't it? Unfortunately, the kids who take advantage of the "gifts" from their parents ultimately find out about life the hard way when they graduate out of the house. All you young folks out here, don't envy those kids! Believe me, you're better off! ;)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I lost a friend in high school. His parents bought him a new M3. He lost control and hit and hit a tree. My best friend's parents bought him a Z71 Tahoe Sport with the offroad package...he hit two cars on separate occasions and then eventually rolled the car totalling it. Another kid I know received a brand new Saleen for his b'day and decided it wasn't fast enough, so his parents sent it away for full modification. It came back and he totalled that car. As far as other spoiled kids, Vandy (where I go to school) is absolutely ridiculous. BMW must have had a sale on cars prior to school starting b/c every other car is either a brand new BMW or Land Rover. As for me, I had to buy my first car with my own money and pay for gas and insurance. Since then I've owned four other cars and never had an accident. I can't get anyone on campus to park within twenty feet of the current car b/c I'm sure they're afraid of the flames painted on the side ;).

Jeff

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think that if you are a parent and you have the means and your child or children are in your eyes deserving of such gifts then more good for you. Just because most of us had to work are butts off to get things like cars or the newest cool clothes or whatever doesn't mean we should be envyous of someone who didn't have to work to get what they wanted. You never know the situation of another family.

PA1968STANG - You are so far off!!! Your parents responsibility is to take care of you and get you ready to be able to take care of yourself if at the age of 17 you think your parents OWE you something then maybe you should try paying for your own food, clothing, transportation, etc...and find out exactly how much YOU OWE THEM. Its not the kids that get things handed to them that irritate me its the kids that EXPECT or feel that there parents OWE them something.....wake up...do you think they are going to buy your first house also just because they brought you into this world and you need shelter! ::

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Through the considerable sacrifices made by my single Mom, I went to a Catholic high school attended by many rich kids. In our senior year quite a few were given new cars. New Chevelle, GTO, Pontiac Catalina 421 2+2 (would have been a Corvette but his dad knew better..) and the king, a 65 Chevy with the 425 hp 409.. It's the funniest thing, but none of the guys (all boys school) were overly stupid about the gifts. Oh sure, there was street racing, hard driving, etc, but nothing really bad.

And me? My dad gave me a 58 Ford convert with a blown up engine and a hole in the hood where an escaped fan blade had made it's grand exit.. That car would become the infamous (in my neighborhood anyway) "Wonder Warthog" after I built it a 380 inch 352 and replaced the hood - 1965 - a very good year.

But to summarize, I never saw any of the spoiled rich kid stuff.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Had a good friend, Amy, in university who drove a little Ford EXP (goofy little car!) that she got for her birthday from mom and dad. Spoiled rich kid (dad had a business transporting thoroughbreds all over NA) and a lot of people thought less of her for it.

One of the nicest, most sincere people I've known, very generous and considerate with her friends, and clearly loved and respected her parents.

Found out that the reason for all the financial "spoiling" was her family situation when younger. She had a little sister who was severely physicially and mentally disabled, and mom chose to care for her at home 24/7 because she knew her time here would be short; she tried to compensate for not spending more time with Amy by giving her whatever she wanted. Sister died as a young teen.

Amy got a Nissan 300ZX Turbo for graduation, and married a football player. Wonder where she is now?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Well, since this all started over me, I guess I should reply. first of all it wasn't just handed to the kid, he worked all summer on an 87 LX hatchback to try to get it running for his first car. this still needs a wiring harness. I tried two years ago to buy trhis 95 vert, but the girl wouldn't sell. I came hometwo weeks ago and there was a message on the machine that the car was for sale if I was still interested. I called back and asked what was the deal? the father told me she just bought a new Honda and wanted to sell the stang, shes asking $1500. I went the next day and looked at the car and bought it for $1300. When I got it home and started to assess the damages to the car I was going to repaint it because of some Ex-boyfriend carving his name in the hood and trunk. I priced the paint for the car and knew I wasn't going to repaint this. The more I looked at it in the garage I knew I had to do something with all those scratches, and since the son fell in love with the wifes Boss I figured I would paint it the same. I am taking the car to him in early Sept. and the best part is he still thinks hes getting that 87 LX!!!!! He doesn't even know I got this car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
In the town where I live, it has one of the hightest income rates per capita. It's also the fastest growing county in the USA now. So as you can imagine...there are some extremely spoiled kids here! It always pisses me and my friend(who also built his car) off. There are so many corvettes, BMW's, Mercedes, Acura NSX's, and even a few new ferrari's. Here's my personal favorite though. Two twin girls, about 17 had their daddy buy them matching Saleen's, one red, one black, their names on both liscense plates. They procede to street race each other and one hit's a curb, lost control and hit the other one! But I saw the car's the other day...looks like daddy fixed them ::

1 - 20 of 38 Posts