Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just checking, what size do you use for;
epoxy
base
clear
filler primers

Do you run the same gun or use different guns for different things. My old ancient siphon feed primer gun terminally broke so I'm gun shopping I guess. The only one I have left is my hvlp with a 1.4 nozzle. It is not a cadillac brand but has worked well for me. I went ahead and finished spraying epoxy on my bumper with it but I had to work at it to get the air and paint knobs where it would lay down ok. I thought it was going to orange peel on me but it looks fine.

I wonder sometimes if I will ever get to the point that I don't have to ask questions on here all the time. It seems like everything I'm doing is a first timer thing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
1.3-1.4 for base/clear. 1.8 or 2.2 for high build primers. I use a gravity feed gun. Eastwood sells some nice ones.

·
Registered
566 Posts
1.3-1.4 for base/clear. 1.8 or 2.2 for high build primers. I use a gravity feed gun. Eastwood sells some nice ones.
The above is a good guide line and as also mentioned read the paint manufacturer's tech sheet to see what fluid tip they recommend for each product. All of that is a good starting point then adjust if needed.

As to what brand, how many, etc.... It all depends on the budget. If you can afford to have dedicated guns for each process, great, that's what most pros do. However, keep in mind they make their living doing it and can justify the expense. If your a hobbyist, which most of us on here are, you can do the job with one descent gun as long as it has swap-able fluid tips in the required sizes. I use the Devilbiss FLG4 (Finishline model, not the Startingline). It's $195 gun and comes with a 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.8 tip. A 2.2 tip can be purchased separately for about $30. It has been a good tool for me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I closed my ebay business a while ago and kept these. I was a CPO dealer for many of the major tool makers

I have a Satajet Digital & 2000 both older guns with whatever tips are recommended as stated above.

This is one of the more expensive units out there Titan / Capspray 5 stage turbine use the Capspray more than anything it is a true low pressure high volume system it can be used inside your house to spray cabinets with almost no over spray. This unit I would recommend to anyone it will spray anything with accuracy.
https://www.titantool.com/products/product-detail/capsprayTM-105-hvlp/

The Airlessco is by far the best airless made Airlessco LP540 digital control airless paint sprayer with Graco AirPro spray gun can be used to paint house , fence and under coating.

Bob

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered an Eastwood concours LT gun with an extra 1.7 tip for primer. It looks like a pretty decent gun. It is a gravity/hvlp and they say it runs 4.25 cfms at 30 psi so I should be able to spray my whole car with it and not over run my compressor.

I had no idea those turbine units existed. They look interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts