Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an update from the rebuilder on my car. The front clip is on and the floor pans are in. The only thing left is the rear frame rails and it will be ready to go to the spray metal guy. On that subject has anyone had any experance with spray metal? When my dad had the rear quarter panels replaced they did not do it correctly. There is seam at the top of the panel that we could not get to without removing the panel and I did not have the dollars to do this. So we blasted in that area as much as possible and then we were going to spray metal to prevent anything in the future. They will be doing some small repair work but nothing major. The also recommended that they spray a lite coat over the the bottom of the car and on the interior floor. Is this a good idea? Any other reccomendations? Thanks for your help in advance. oh after this is done I should get my car back right after the 4th weekend!!!!!

Darrel

·
Registered
900 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but do you mean "spray the metal," as in prime the new metal, or are you referring to a product that claims to be some sort of metal spray? I've never heard of metal that could be sprayed and can't imagine how that would be possible.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Spray metalizing utilizes an oxy/acetylene heat source or, in more modern machines, plasma, and literally sprays a metal wire into droplets which adhere to the properly prepped base material.

When I worked in the oil and repair business, this was a often-used method of building up oil field pump rods (both with stainless steel and ceramic, in powder form) as well as deep well turbine pump volutes, among others...

Things get pretty hot during this process and the equipment is fairly expensive and it consumes a lot of air (we had a screw compressor to run our stuff)...

Are you sure this is what you're talking about?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this is the process they are talking about. They use a machine from a company called Praxair. It actually sprays new metal onto the area then you can grind down the excess metal to have a clean surface to prep for paint. They showed me a patch they did on a rear quarter panel right in the center of the panel and you can not tell it's there unless you look in the wheel well. I guess what I really wanted to know has anybody out there had this done on there car?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts