Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on spraying my headliner with vinyl dye without getting it on everything? I just ordered 2 cans of black satin vinyl die. My headliner is in good condition but its white where as the rest of the interior is black.

Thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I did the same to a coupe a few years back...white interior and I dyed it black. Take the pinch mouldings off and mask the windows just like you are spray painting. Paint the pinch mouldings separately and it will turn out a lot better. Just spray that stuff like it's regular paint.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Years ago I did the same thing, it worked great. I agree with Red66 as far as prep goes. Roll down the windows and use a couple old sheets to cover the seats, dash and doors. You don't have to cover everything at once, just move the sheets to the areas you are working.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Be sur to mask the front and back windows or else you will have overspray on them that is tough to get off. Don't ask me how I know. :eek:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just did this myself. Like others have said, make sure you cover everything you don't want overspray on. I would suggest taking the seats out - you can do that in about 15 minutes and it will give you a lot more room to move.

The other suggestions I have are to wipe down the headliner with lacquer thinner before you spray (don't overdo it though). This will not only remove dirt & oils from the headliner, it will also soften it up a bit and let the dye penetrate a bit better. I chose to do half the headliner at a time, that way it stayed soft while I sprayed. The other thing is to just use lots of very light coats in opposite directions.

It should look great if you just take your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts