Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than plugging the obvious holes or slots at the front or top of the cowl vent, is there any concern regarding spraying in there with the windshield wipers mechanisms in place? I plan to shoot the inside with that inside the chassis or frame rails black coating that uses a 6 way spray nozzle. I've already used it twice and it will find any hole that exists if there is one. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Other than plugging the obvious holes or slots at the front or top of the cowl vent, is there any concern regarding spraying in there with the windshield wipers mechanisms in place? I plan to shoot the inside with that inside the chassis or frame rails black coating that uses a 6 way spray nozzle. I've already used it twice and it will find any hole that exists if there is one. Thanks for any help.
Recently used por 15 to seal around the top hats and cowl seams by useing my improvised spray took thru the cowl drains and hole on each side of the cowl. This is on my 67 & the wipers work fine but some of the overspray reached as far as the cowl vents could clean it off the vents slots themself but the splatter on the lower cowl under the vent openings I'll live with to have the top hats sealed( can' get to it any way).

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
I did the cowl on my Dad's 68 by doing one side at a time. First the driver's side, jacked the right side as high as I could, and filled the left side with a hose through the drain using liquid undercoating. Filled until it became visible through the air slots. Then I drained it, using the drain. After letting it dry a day or two, I repeated on the other side. Very neat, all the pitted metal was well covered, right up to solid metal. And no overspray, of course.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I also used the Eastwood internal frame coating and I'm also going to use some 3M cavity wax, but that stuff is expensive. I don't think it can hurt the wiper pivots since they bolt in from the bottom. If you have the wiper pivots out, either bolt them back in or cover the screw holes to protect the threads.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention the top hats which I plan to stuff shop rag t shirts up in to keep the stuff from splashing down in the car. Now I just have to remember to do that when I spray in there.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I need to do this as well. Does anyone have any pictures? Did you guys use black paint or match the body color?
The Eastwood coating is only black as far as I know.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
My experience: Fomoco DID NOT coat the inside of the cowl (the upper part you see) with anything! Also, the inside of the hood, deck, and doors have a poor coating too. Back to the cowl:
1) the easiest way is, with the front fenders off, is to blow compessed air throught those side drains to clear out the 50 years of leaves that have been sitting there.
2) with the heater out so you can reach up through the air vent opening, coat the bottom of the cowl metal
3) repeat on the drivers side.
4) I used a spray tip like the ones you get with penetrating oil cans. It is sloopy. Then, with a small paint brush, I reached up to touch up what you can not get with the sprayer. If you are lucky, you'll coat most of it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Roadster is spot on. This is about what I did. I also took a wire brush on a drill and knocked all the dried out seam sealer off the edge of the cowl and the joint where the inner fender, cowl, and firewall come together. This joint tends to be a source for water leaking into the interior. Replace the sealer in the joints.
Make a nice little path with the new seam sealer so water will drain out of the cowl openings next to the fender and onto the ground.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Don't forget heavy duty tape pressed down tightly on all the intake vent slots behind the hood. I had the carpet and everything out of the interior, used a homemade 360° spray wand and a pressurized cannister to spray POR-15 over every surface inside the cowl, even had a little run out the drains onto the floor, and I used an old phone to video inside from the vents under the dash to be sure I got every single surface, nook and cranny. I can dump a 5 gallon bucket of water in and I don't have any leaks. A little spray of body color from the top when you're done makes it all spiffy and protects the POR-15 from chalking.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here is how I did mine: Makes it a lot easier to get in there. Yarb Cowl 2.JPG Cowl3.jpg

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think that if you use a cutoff wheel and remove the hats you can avoid taking the fenders off.

I got my fenders off but I destroyed the lower bolts and mounts doing so.

Replace the hats with the plastic repair hats after you do what your going to do with the cowl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts