Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to spray the initial base coat of primer on my convertible.
I am will be using a PPG epoxy primer.

My body guy has been telling me that I don't want to do it myself because it is very toxic/smells bad, etc.

I was planning on doing it in my garage? It is attached to the house... he is saying definitely don't do that since the smell will get into the house and I will have problems.

He is saying that it should only be done by a professional.

So, can I do this myself? It is just going to be the base coat in which the car will sit till next year when I can afford to take it to the paint shop for final prep/priming/painting.

Do I need to pull it out of my garage?
Can I sponge / brush the initial coat of primer on or does it need to be sprayed?

Now I am having 2nd thoughts about doing it myself.
Is it really that hard/dangerous?

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I wouldn't shoot in my garage...especially an attached one. My brothers and I have done that in the past...very messy...guess why I don't live at home anymore! ;)

When we painted my car we had a professional booth to work with...an old updraft system, but heated and ventilated...and I still wouldn't walk in there without a mask.

Seriously...if it's a one year paint job, I wouldn't waste my time...spend $250 at macco and be done with it if you must have it painted now.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Well.....maybe its not the best, But I put quite a few coats of epoxy primer on in my garage....in the dead of winter! I just openned all the doors...shot my primer and closed it all back up again. Other than the little twitch for a couple days ;).....didn't hurt a thing. I wouldn't think in the heat of summer...and open doors...I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Gee, do I sound a bit sour from sanding on primer for the last year or what? ;)

Like Ken says...it can be done, and I too have done it. Would I again? No.

We used to line the walls with plastic, set a big ass fan at the back door and wet the floor. ::

If your neighbors are close don't even think about it.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I think were trying really hard to confuse you! What were talking about without really saying it is.... It can be done and is done everyday. Its not complicated or anything. Primer, hardner and shoot away. Where the problem lies is in the over spray,(the mess) it tends to go everywhere. But if you have a fancy gravity feed type gun, it should help. Otherwise be prepared to be dusting off everything in the garage. And make sure no other cars, boats,bikes are any else you don't want a nice little grit on...are down wind! :eek:

·
Registered
466 Posts
my dad has painted 3 different cars in our garage. it stinks, its that simple but if you open all the doors,windows, vents in the house and leave the little door open on the garage with a fan or two blowing out and a crack in the big door then everything should be fine. spray it!!!! if you have 'pissy' nieghbors, you might want to re think it b/c they will get pissy would be my guess. once everything is done, let it sit for an hour or two, then get all the fans in your house going to get the air out. GET SOME KIND OF MASK/BREATHING SYSTEM FOR YOU, ITS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT IN YOUR SYSTEM WHEN YOU ARE DONE. my dad has his own little air compressor and full suit and stuff so he doesnt breath it all in, b/c it will make you sicker then a dog if you are in that room with no mask at all. my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts