Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am describing this correctly. I need an internal turnbuckle-type spreader screw: one that has threads in opposide directions with a bolt in the middle, and screws inside two tubes, and acts as spreader between the two tubes. I need to put it in the middle of a shock tower brace that I am having to fabricate from that Total Control bar system. The inside diamerer of the tube is about 1//16 inches. Where should i go to look for/ask for such a spreader screw? river

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
When I put the export brace on my 70 the brace was 3/8" too wide.....

When I jacked the car up under the engine crossmember I was just able to get it.....I attached the firewall bolts last.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
The other thing you could try (carefully) is a bottle jack and a couple pieces of wood. But, try sharkmouths method first...that works for most people.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Sounds like you want one you can build into the brace. Why? If you look at a good hardware store, a camper/RV shop or even a farm equipment supplier, they should have what you need.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you want one you can build into the brace. Why?
The original Monte Carlo brace, which went straight across between the fenders, in front of the engine, won't fit anymore, due to the installation of a serpentine belt system and an AC unit. One of the solutions we have found is to install a brace that bolts directly to the front bolts of shock towers, and goes straight across, in front of the carberator. That distance is about 13 inches shorter than the distance between the fenders. I can just shorten the bar by cutting out 13 inches and then welding it back, which is what I may have to do. But I thought it would be helpful to actually have an adjustment for the bar, in the middle, like a turnbuckle, but with internal threads instead of the external ones that use a threaded sleeve. So that is what I am trying to make.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is the motor out if so take a piece of allthread 1/2,by3ft.cut the all threaded bar in 1/2 put it throught the top hole on each side of the shock towers. put a nut on each side of towers on the inside,the turn buckle i used was only about 3in. long put that in the middle.put a tack weld on the right nut and turn the buckle slowly a little at time,measure on each turn.when there's lot's of presure let it sit awhile try again,i hope this helps and explained it right.It worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts