Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Ford Motorsport 5.0 engine in my 66 Pony. I used the stock distributor and am finally upgrading to a MSD 8252 with hardened drive gear. I live in the Boulder, CO elevation 5,154, so altitude plays a role. Does anyone have a spring combination they like for my circumstances? Any advice on how to get the right spring combination?

Thanks in advance.

Weave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Any advice on how to get the right spring combination?
Figure out what you want your total timing to be (probably in the 36-38 degree range), then it's all kinda trial and error. Use the charts that will come with it to determine where your total timing will be in, and how much timing you want to run.

On an MSD you can literally change springs in 2 minutes, and total advance in 5, so it's real easy to keep swapping until you find the combo that works best for your engine and circumstances.

One tip I will offer, though, is that I have yet to see anyone that could run with the 2 light silver springs. They simply aren't strong enough to pull the weights back in after you romp it good, making for a very inconsistant idle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts