Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend me and a buddy dropped the upper control arms and ran into all of the usual spring compression problems using this compressor: WA92, Compressor, Coil Spring.

Does anyone have any experience with a vendor's spring compressor that does not jump off while compressing or fall off and fling parts when decompressing??

·
Registered
590 Posts
^^^ I'm sold. I have been holding back on changing my UCA's but that looks safe enough to do it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have one like this that I made. Works like a charm.

I have one of these also that I got off eBay by a member on here. I loaned it to my brother and he had trouble with the bearing and replaced it with a heavier one. Works great.

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
The best one looks like this:

That's the Ford tool, as shown in the Service Manual. You won't find one, though, the best you can do is this one, which is very similar, and safe and easy, too:

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Best is Snap On but it is expensive. I bought an internal one off ebay. You MUST put about 3" of spacers above the top bracket to keep it from bottoming out plus you must hook it as low on the coil as possible. I used 3 1" nuts as spacers..

·
Registered
986 Posts
I use a MOOG spring compressor tool kit. I was lucky enough to find it on E-bay for $60. Its normally $400+/-,new. Very similar to the OTC mentioned above. Be safe. Some of these aftermarket spring compressors are an accident waiting to happen.

Neil Hoppe

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
How many times are you really going to use this tool, really? Go to kragen o'reilly auto parts or most auto parts store and rent one for a deposit. You bring the tool back you get your money back. FREE and no work building one!

I used to install suspension lift kits on trucks for years and drop coils on cars. Never paid a dime for the tool and always worked out great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts