Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
620's DOES mean 620 lbs. It refers to the spring rate, and how many ft. lbs. of pressure are required to compress it. Never hear of springs being referred to in the diameter of the coil before.

That being said, usually, it's not a matter of stiffer springs to keep from tires from rubbing in the front. There's a TON of room in the front wheel wells of a '65/'66. Where you'll usually run into rubbing problems is that while there's plenty of room, the height of the tire interferes with the front valance and/or the front of the wheel well opening. Your rubbing will occur making turns, not on bumps. Stiffer and/or higher springs will not help that.

I have th 620# 1" lowered springs in both my '66 and '69 with KYB GasAjust shocks. That along with manual steering, a 1" swaybar, monte carlo bar, and export brace makes for a very nice handling car and a smooth ride.

I used to feel the ride was a little harsh in my '66 until I replaced the crappy Monroe GasMatics with the KYB's. The KYB's made all the difference in the world, and made it ride like a totally different car.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts