Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday started hearing a squeak coming from my left front suspension, which is now getting louder. Driving at normal speeds can't hear it, until I slow down to stop, turn a corner, park or go slowly over a bump actually any little bump makes it squeak now. The other side and rear is fine, smooth and no noise, but the left feels rough and I can feel the bump in the road on that side.
Is this my shocks that need replacing, or the ball joints, and is this something I can fix?
::

·
Registered
37,457 Posts
The three most common causes:

1. Upper control arm bushing. To fix, add grease.
2. Upper control arm to coil spring perch "trunion". To fix, WD-40/CRC 5-56, etc.
3. Shock absorber. To fix, replace.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It could be all the above but most of the time it's the upper A-arm bushings.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sprayed WD-40 every where and also put grease in the nibs, also the guy at the lube place did it last week. Also when I push down on the fender it squeaks. If it is the shock do I have to replace both sides, and what type of shocks should I get, don't want the cheap but don't want top of the line either, and is this a easy job to do?

·
Registered
37,457 Posts
You can isolate the shocks by disconnecting them at the top of the shock tower. If it still squeaks, it's not the shocks. I had a terrible squeak last week that was the coil spring perch trunnion. I hosed it down with some 5-56 and it is now silent.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, I will try that first thing tomorrow morning. I hope it is a easy fix like yours.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
has there been any suspension work done in the past??? a common squeek "ailment" is when urethane bushings have been substituted for rubber, especially in the swaybar ends. Those are also easy to isolate by temporarily disconnecting the ends and going for a test drive...

randy

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I had the same problem. Squeaks only over bumps or slow speeds, but get on the highway and you dont' hear it. It's your UCA's and you'll have to replace the bushings at the least. Grease won't really help and WD 40 definitely won't help because it evaporates easily.
chaz

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Don't use WD-40... Use a high quality Silicone or White Lithium grease... WD-40 will only serve to dry themz bushings out. Water displacing = bad on rubber.

Use Sillycone spray!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The squeak is fixed, it was the upper control arm. First I disconnected the upper shock but the car was still squeaking so I turn to the UCA.
The upper control arm still had the original plugs in it, so I took them out and place 90 degree grease nipples in, and greased it up. I also sprayed the coil seat with a silicone spray, but I did notice that the coil seat wasn't in great shape, one of the bushing was hanging half out. The rubbers had some cracking going on eg. upper ball joint rubber cover. Is this a sign that all rubbers should be replaced.
Thanks for all the excellent advice, once again my car is squeak free. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts