Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 73 Mach, and I can't get the belts to quit squealing, when you rev. it up. I put two different new belts on it trying to get it to quit. What next?

Phil

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
usually it's the power steering belt..make sure it is tight..also make sure the pulleys are aligned..the P/S Pump should have a spacer between the head and pump..or the belts will not line up and squeal like a stuck pig

·
Registered
422 Posts
You might want to try some of that belt dressing spray, most auto part stores carry some, helped my belts stay quite. Good luck. James.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
Make sure you have the right length belts. If the belt is just a little too long you could be running out of adjustment before the belts gets all the way tight. Squealing is usually loose belts.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
An old catskinners trick was to use a bit of ajax on the cables of the old cable blade controls, makes the cable brake grip better and stops the cable from slipping.Maybe worth a try on the belt.Just a bit on the inside of the belts and see if that stops the noise. Another point to check is spray a little wd 40 into the pulley on the power steering, not to much or it will splatter all over the car, just into the pulley bearing.Have the engine running to do this and watch out for the fan. I have done this before and it has removed a lot of noise which normally sounds like slipping belts.
Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts