Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my car, it came with a large weight bolted to the C4 tranny. I was told by an old Ford technician, who is into vintage Mustangs, that this was done at the factory. He referred to the item as a "Squirrel catcher" and said it was designed to reduce transmission vibration. I cleaned it, repainted it but never used it. Any value in keeping it, or should I just dump it?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I've seen those in Ford illustrations and shop manuals, but I don't think they were installed in Mustangs. More likely they were installed in higher end cars like Mercurys and Lincolns. I'm no expert on this however.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Had one on my 66 when I bought it. I threw it away after replacing the transmission (C4). The replacement trans didn't have one. Both were Mustang trans I think. At least that's what I was told.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Do you have a photo of it? Sounds interesting"

Give me a week to get my digital camera software reinstalled and will send you pics. Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts