Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did the yearly maintenance on my boiler, actually a tankless water heater, this Saturday. Circulated 3 gallons of vinegar through the boiler for an hour and flushed the system with 12 gallons of distilled water. Fired up the boiler after 6 months and got a combustion error code? I thought about it and decided that going on the 12/12 roof in my condition wouldn't be very smart so I decided to cut the 3" PVC pipe in the storage area behind the master BR that has the radiant heat. Swiveled the pipe around like a periscope and saw a frogs backside and associated debris. Realizing the frog didn't trigger the error code I disconnected the pipe from the top of the boiler and found nuts and lots of them completely packing the condensing or heat exchanger part of the boiler. So the squirrels killed my boiler and the mice killed my mini split AC within a year of each other. I hate the country and the whole RN culture and am more motivated than ever to get back to the city!

Some of you might think I'm nuts!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
ha, you just f'ed up some squirrels day. The toads probably not too happy with you either. One old country a__ house we lived in had a gray water drain on the washing machine in the basement...that was fine till the missus pulled out a load of washed clothes full of baby yellow ring snakes. We moved not long after that.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Squirrels, chipmunks, mice...I hate them little f'ers!! . I battle mice in my garage out back every fall/winter. They actually ruined a perfectly good 302 I had on an engine stand. This time of year I set a bunch of traps to get them before they get in and nest and have babies. Went out there last night to check the traps, untouched. Perfect, none of them little bastards have gotten in! And then one runs across the floor.....added some poison to the mix...and dont tell me to get some irish spring soap, or mothballs, or dryer sheets...none of that works, I've tried them all.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Awe...the joys of living in the country! I've related my multiple experiences with snakes, particularly the ones that try to make my tractor a home. Squirrels, raccoons and field mice just add to it. When I was assembling the log cabin portion (original early 1800s logs) I treated them with a borax based insect killer. Great for termites etc but I found out that it made the log ends attractive to squirrels who would wake us up early in the morning chewing on the house. It is fortunate I built in the middle of the woods far from neighbors, I am not sure they would see the humor of me dashing out in my bathrobe, shotgun in hand to blast away at the critters at sunrise.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My tankless gave me an exhaust error a few years ago. It did it the first time during a major blizzard, but that was easily solved by clearing the snow and ice. But the most recent time was in the summer. I couldn't see anything blocking the exhaust, so I called a local place. They took it apart and found grass and what-not clogging the exhaust fan. Don't know if a mouse managed to get in there or not, cuz they said there were no signs of mice, and there's a screen at the end of the exhaust pipe to prevent critters from getting in. I've been told that mice only need a hole the size of a dime, and the holes are on the screen are about half that.
Only downside was the company didn't deal with that brand so they had to order the fan, which took a few days.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My neighbor's boy just got a new BB rifle- scope and all. He'd picked off 3 squirrels and a rabbit within the 1st hour or so..... I'll send him right over!! lol
I was considering this or a pellet gun for the chipmunks that were roaming my backyard several years ago, but after sprinkling some concentrated coyote urine (yeah, it's something you can buy in a bottle) around the fence line, I haven't seen any since. Probably need to do that again before winter and see if it works on mice as well, saw one when I was mowing the back last week.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Wow. All of my exterior exhaust vents have drop down flappers.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wow. All of my exterior exhaust vents have drop down flappers.
Must not be able to do that for the tankless. I mentioned to the repair guys about putting a different screen on it with smaller holes, and they recommended against it because of the potential for the screen getting clogged and created blockage. They didn't recommend anything different. I could see a flapper freezing in the winter and not opening, or having the wind pushing against it and keeping it from opening.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I don't know how those work... everything I vent off my house creates pressure to open them... and we don't have freezing problems here.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glue traps with a dab of peanut butter in the middle are the best way to deal with bugs and small varmints that I've found. Dealing with a screaming mouse in the middle of the night may make you feel like a monster, but how else are you going to keep them out?

·
Registered
628 Posts
And the most important item is missing -- Where did this come from?
Sorry about that Chief.

https://pvcventscreens.com/shop/

I use the 70% filter during bee season, 90% in winter, on both suction and discharge lines. To be safe I flared out from 2" to 3" at each end, so even with a 70% flow I'm getting full effective flow. They recommend putting the larger mesh (90%) in winter to prevent freezing, something that could happen I suppose on the suction line given the right conditions.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put a screen on the outlet but obviously the little ba$tards were able to chew though it after 4 years. I was able to pull the unit and remove the top of the condenser or whatever it is and remove the rest of the nuts and clean it up inside. Reinstalled it and it seems to be working fine now temporary venting into and unfinished storage area. Ran fine for a 1/2 hour before I turned it off until I can get on the roof with a new screen and reattach the exhaust vent. The manufacturer says not to put any type of screen over the exhaust in areas the get below freezing for extended periods due to freeze up potential. I've only got 4 feet of PVC between the boiler and the roof and didn't have a problem with the 1/4" mesh while it lasted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,560 Posts
You want the job done right, you call in the professional:

24 confirmed Squirrels, plus racoons, possums, snakes, etc.

135 pounds of assassin.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts