Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed down the choice for the front brakes to SSBC's A120D kit for my coupe.
I have searched thru previous posts on them and everyone seems satisfied.
I want to make sure before I buy so any input would be appreciated.
Laurel Mountain Mustang seems to have the lowest price and also seem to have a good reputation, input on them would also help.

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Those brakes are identical to the ones that came on 65/67 vehicles stock when you ordered disc brakes so I don't see how you can go wrong with these. I have them on my Shelby (original equip of course) and the cars stops great in my opinion. I also have an extra set of these brakes and I will probably use them on my fastback as soon as I get on the lathe and make the stainless pistons for them.

I don't see how you can go wrong with these brakes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RonK for the information.
I believe SSBC also use the stainless pistons.
:)

Don

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
They do not use stainless pistons, read the specs, that is why I am having to make my own.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
It's early AM and haven't got up for nothing-learning that the SSB brakes do not have stainless pistons. Interesting. What part IS stainless? Not doubting your word, just surprised.

Juat ordered a kit, came yesterday. I ordered the dual chamber master cylinder. Haven't opened boxes yet. Have used them before and they seem OK. Am using this kit along with a SSB rear rear disc setup that I got new with a car several years ago. Boxes are still unopened. This kit is the A-111-2. Hope am not surprised. :) I now have two prop valves. Which one to use? Am assuming they might be identical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they may use a stainless steel sleeve in the bore but again I may be wrong on that too.
I use SSBC's website for comparison to other vendor's and may have missed it or can't remember the actual spec's.

Thank's
Don

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I got those from Laurel Mountain for my car, lowest price, in stock and they work great. Definitely recommend. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
SSBC used stainless steel sleeves in the caliper bores. The only difference in the kit I detected was the calipers used the '67 size bleeder valves (good) and an aftermarket proportioning valve (not great for those into restoration).

The only problem I've had when installing the kit was the dust shields had to be clearanced in order for the calipers to bolt on.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Are you talking about the SSBC ones or the "ALL NEW Disc Brake Conversion Kits"?
Stan

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have the A120-2 kit and I really like it. It installed very easily, the only fabrication was some minor trimming of the dust shield and of course bending the brake lines and hooking up the gauge. I noticed the prices have gone up significantly since I got mine, my A-120-2 kit was the price of the one you're getting and I paid a little more to upgrade to powdercoated calipers. You might be able to find a place that still has them for the old price or maybe even go through SSBC directly but either way you can't go wrong. My kit came with the 'green stuff' pads that were mentioned, they seem to work well. There was a bit of a 'break-in' time but once the rotors and pads got seasoned or whatever they really grab well. If you're not dead set on the SSBC kit, I heard that Billgear at StreetorTrack can get real good prices on the new Baer front conversion kits with their fancy 2 piece rotors or the traditional 'Track' or similar systems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
SSBC history is they started "sleeving" Corvetes and later Mustang calipers with stainless steel sleeves to prevent a known sticking issue. As the above posters said these are made using the original ford tool prints so the are correct for the mustang a will clear the original 14" style steel wheels.

I have the A120p kit and love it so far since I have the 14" style steel wheels.

Heres a link I found with lots of pics since the directions that SSBC will provide are kind of weak.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/127_0211_susp/index1.html

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input, I ordered from Laurel Mountain Mustang this morning, $858 to the front door.

Don

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was looking at the A120P kit to convert to the power disk brakes.

This kit comes with the booster, yes?

Our car has factory power drums, and I did the single to dual MC swap this past winter, using a mini-booster purchased from NPD and a 67 drum/drum mc and dist block.

To say the least I am not very happy with the outcome. The pedal sits way to high and just does not feel right. Even after maximum adjustment.

Does the SSBC A120P require any brake pedal or firewall modification?

What do you think of the pedal height and feel of the brakes? I

Thanks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The A120p kit does not require any mods to the brake pedal or firewall for 65/66 mustangs. The kit does come with everything needed to make the power disk swap.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Another question?

Right now our car has the stock steel wheels with hub caps. I would assume these are 5 inch wheels. According to SSBC the A120P requires 7 inch wheels.

Are your SS 7 inch wheels? Is the stock size for these wheels?

I need to know if I have to get new wheels, and what size. I was thinking of getting SS wheel "repos". Might need to get new tires also if the Uniroyals we have now won't work on a seven inch wheel.

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts