Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Not really answering your question...

Theyre kind of overkill for most cars. I find that if I retorque once after installing/reinstalling headers, they dont loosen up.

Maybe for a race car theyd help.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have some experience with Stage 8 bolts

I've found the 1" ones work well with stock tri-Y headers. I don't like the amount of engagement I get with the 3/4". I really like the Stage 8 locking bolts though and used them for several years.

You might try this....

Lately (and right now) my headers are bolted on with ARP header bolts (12 point heads) that have a hole drilled in them for use with safety wire. ARP now offers these. Many people have seen them and commented on the safety wire (they like it). I've found it takes me about as long to safety wire them up as orient and install the Stage 8 retainer and clip.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theyre kind of overkill for most cars. I find that if I retorque once after installing/reinstalling headers, they dont loosen up.
I don't disagree. My 6 (2 are missing) old rusted bolts on there now keep the headers on. It is the fact that they will look good and stay looking good that makes me want them. My engine is detailed except for the headers and I would like to keep it that way. If there are other options, let me know. The bolt s that came with the headers will rust over time and that is what I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After I lost points for "rusty header bolts", I located these stainless header bolts at Summit. They work, and don't break the bank.... 16 bolts $15.69
Thanks. I checked them out and ordered them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts