Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the aftermarket stainless calipers from SSBC a completely new design, or can parts for stock Ford units work to service them?

After talking with a brakes specialty shop, we agree that my car's front calipers are probably sticking and causing the front end drag. They advised me to talk to SSBC to check on what parts I'll need to correct this, as they only have access to "stock parts."

What do you do to correct this problem. I hope not all new calipers... [gasp]

Surely some VMFer with SSBC stuff can give me some guidance. please?....TIA - Dickson

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Are your calipers completely original. In the early eighties I have them redo my calipers with all stainless steel hardware and pistons and they went 15 years without a rebuild. If your bores are OK, your could get new stainless steel pistons and rebuild with a factory seal kit. SSBC now sell new KH 4 pots that are identical to the 65/66 KH from the factory as well as an aluminum version loosely based on the original design. I'd probably buy the new iron calipers and but the originals on the shelf (I prefer to spend money knowing the car stops and turns before anything else.

Bob.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My calipers are from SSBC. (they were so dirty when I got the car that I did not know they had been upgraded).

I do not know if they'ver ever been rebuilt, but would be open to trying to rebuild them myself if I can.

I've got a call into tech at SSBC to see if they can give me some guidance....Thanks - Dickson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts