Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 351C 2 bl engine has started stalling at idle. It starts right up after it stalls every time. I can pull it out of the driveway, but by the time I get to the end of the street it will stall as I put on the brake and get to a stop. My car has an FMX and I don't drive it except on weekends. The only way I can keep it idling is to put it in neutral and rev the engine some. It runs fine at speed, but it has been more sluggish than normal when accelerating from a stop.

Assuming I have no vacuum leaks, where should I start?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Fuel delivery problem would be my very first idea...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Timing, didnt think about that one. Definitely check the timing!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
check your ignition, then your fuel delivery, especially your fuel filter. Same thing happened to my car a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being a clogged fuel filter or idle circuit (I just swapped carbs and filters at the same time because I was in a hurry).

Slade

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the pertronix ignition under the dist cap so it isn't points. I will check my fuel filter and timing.

What is the idle circuit? I am assuming it is something with the carb.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
it is a fuel loop inside the carb for while the car is idling up to aroudn 3000 RPM or so. You can change out your carb if you have an extra laying around. I have about 7 carbs sitting around my house (along with 2 more coming)...so I've always got one that is working.

Slade

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No extra carbs laying around. If I can't get it going soon I may get Pony Carbs to redo mine or buy an Edelbrock or other similar aftermarket carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts