Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've having trouble with my 66. Every time I start it, it takes at least 10 minutes of me appling gas to warm it up. We've tried as hard as we can to tune it right but we believe it may be a choke problem. I'd like to replace the choke and at the same time replace my stock 2 barrel carb with something higher end. I'd like to change to a 4 barrel but I'm not sure if I'd have to get a new intake manafold at the same time. Please give me some suggestions as to anything that might be wrong and also what you suggest for a new carb. Also I've been getting really bad gas mileage, around 12-15 per gallon is there anything I can do to help this?

G

·
0 Posts
I might be eable to help, i had the same problem in my fastback, and turned out to be a worn carburator. I replaced it for an Edelbrock 600cfm electric choke, I also replaced the intake ( you have to ) for a dual plane weiand. the first time i inserted the key, it started, i dont need to tell you how great that was. Today I run a 302 efi engine, but I still have the intake, the carb found a nother home. if interrested on the intake drop me a line.

G

·
0 Posts
MAN! I used to have a 302 with a crappy autolite 2 barrell. It was SO embarrasing. Everytime I turned it off it would flood and take about 30 turns to fire up, then it would throw a mushroom cloud out the talepipe on startup. I was so fed up I replaced the engine(351), and carb. Carb was a 2 barrell holley. But before I took my 302 out I drove with the 2 barrell holley for 1 week and NEVER had a starting problem. MORAL--- go directy to summit and get your self an edelbrock 1406 4 barrell(don't even think about buying a 2 barrell) and performer manifold. Then read wisperers post about intake gaskets and never have a hard start again. IMO.

OOPS! I just read your post. I thout it took 10 minutes to start. But you say 10 minutes to warm up.
1. Maybe the anti-stall dashpot thingy is tweaked
2. Maybe your thermostat is busted and not stoping the water from circulating on cold starts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts