Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 66 stang with a 302 from 87 but i am running a edelbrock 600 carb with electric choke. the car has been running great besides a ping under load which parts are on order for. i have been driving the car frequently because this is my only car and suddenly it just died during driving. definetally a fuel issue from the way it stalls... (the slow chug and lack of responsivness). i thought for sure it way my fuel pump( electric fuel pump from 4-7psi) so i changed the pump still no differance though. i can crank it up and idles great, after 30--45 seconds it chugs a couple times then dies... my guesses are carb issue like floats stuck etc etc but not sure can someone please advise? i have also changed my pre and after pump filters.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I would start at the basics......
Check for heat sinc......vapor lock, etc.
Check the ignition system....coils (if your using one) can deteriorate over time and when exposed to heat can suddenly "fail"
Ignition wires....contact with metal and condition

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have all new ignition system, (coil etc..) i believe that if it was a ignition problem it would just stall not chug as if its starving for fuel.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
replace all filters, blow air through the line to make sure it is clear, check hard line for dents and kinks that may have been caused by a kicked up rock, check float level/ rebuild carb if its been a while. if that fails to fix it it may be the sock in the tank witch requires draining and then removing the fuel sender

·
Registered
451 Posts
While I agree with everyone who has offered advice. Before you do anything drastic, try driving it with the gas cap off. Remember, in these cars, the tank was vented to atmoshere via the cap..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you check the float level?

thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
238 Posts
A stuck float, in every case i know of, will cause flooding, not stavation.
A plugged fuel filter would give you those symptoms.

·
Registered
583 Posts
to continue on derherr65 post their are 3 ways that a carb will get stuck. 1: stuck with the float pointing down which pulls the needle up out of the seat = over filling which then comes out of the bowl vent holes. 2: float gets stuck facing up with needle seated in seat = no refil of bowl which can then be transfered to engine (by the way this will also portray the signes of a bad pump so watch out for that because the stock mecanicals have a piston in it i believe so when the needle unseats from the seat and wants gas the pump builds up pressure and pumps gas in otherwise with the needle down the pump will not build pressure which will show that you have a bad pump when it could be the float). 3: float gets stuck somewere in the middle = probubly ending up in floading not enless u have like a double pumper 4 barrel and a drag engine that will burn the gas so fast that the bowl wouldnt fill up.
ALL = Bad. Float Sticking = bad
in your case if it is a stuck lifted up umm what would cause that ???? gummed up mabye or their is a rod that allows the float to piviot mabye something is wrong with that.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just thought of this test right now well accualy i remembered it anyway. the main test to check for gas EX: your car staled and you think that you ran out of gas(happens to me the most) or you think your engine is just not getting gas. what you do is you pop the hood without the car on go over and pull off your breather and pump the carb if you dont see gas being pumped into the barrells then going into the intake you have a gas problem. Very strange ur situation because when my car runes out of gas you can pop start it in second down a hill and their is no way it is comming back to life so chances are it is not a fuel delivery problem (gas line/ tank) it is a gas distribution problem (carb) or something else possibly vacume leak around carb for me that used to cause me alot of problems check it with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive cleaned the carb as well its such a weird problem.. sometimes it runs just fine then others it will just die, just not very dependable.... or safe... i think the guy i bought the car from wired up the pump wrong... somehow it must be wired in with my tach ... o btw( i have a toggle switch for the pump its not hooked up to the lock cylinder.) even with the engine off if i hit my switch for the pump to come on my tach lights up and flickers when the pump tics. it seems to be shorting out because when i drive and it gets ready to stall the tach light goes out. MEANING the fuel pump shuts off as well. today i will re-do all the wiring and hook up a relay for the pump and wire the tach seperately... hopefully that will fix it, i just dont know why it suddenly shorts out though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts