Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the rear sway bar on my Fastback (my son wound up with mine on his car, don't ask.) So I'm looking at the Stam-Bar in the catalog, but I've never used one. Anyone using a Stam-Bar? What is your opinion? The catalog says "highly recommended for the serious driver". I've been suckered before. ::

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
I use one, very happy with it. I've been able to dial in just a shade of oversteer for running on the road course.

In fact, I am looking into setting up a dealership with them so we may be able to offer them soon...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am using a 7/8" Stam Bar up front; I am not sure if I have it set to best advantage, but here it is:
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/1C/C7/21488924-fda9-020B016E-.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hotmod is running stam-bars front and rear. I am vary happy with them, But be advised, in the rear, they are not designed to be used with disc brakes . :eek:
Chuck

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Chuck,

Why is it that you say it's not designed to work with disc brakes? The mounting does not seem to be the issue. I'm using disc so I'm interested to know what problems I might run into.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kent,

I'm using a Currie 9+ with Explorer Disc, is that what your using? If so, and you've had no problems with the stam-bar and the disc, then I know I'm safe.

Also, I'm using the TCP Spring/Shock mounting plate. Are you using this and does it clear the mounting bracket for the stam-bar?

By the way, I did a search on the web using "stam-bar" and came up with your site. The pictures were helpful to understand how this bar mounts versus the more typical sway bar.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I am running the Currie HD 9" rear with Baer discs. They can't be too different.

I am not running the TCP spring plate. My traction bars incorporate the shock mounts in their plate, so the TCP was not an option.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had interference with my wilwood disks and rear adj. stam-bar. The link runs vary close to the wheel behind the axle. So moving the caliper to infront of the axle provided the needed room. Some of the advertisements had a warning, not designed for disk brakes, back when I was shopping for bars. What rear disks are you using? And does anyone know if the bar has been redesigned, changed or do they make more than one type of stam-bar. I do know the manufacturing changed hands a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
When the manufacturing changed hands so did the ownership. At this time there was a re-design of the linkages, which may have helped things.

I am running the Baer brakes. Caliper placement is key to clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
How is the work progressing Kent?
Slowly....

Still waiting on the crank, rods and pistons for the engine. Figure a month more.

The bodywork is moving along. Last weekend it was all ready to start the block sanding, but I have not checked on it since. I figure at least a month here too.

I miss my car... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts