Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a month ago how I just don’t fit in my mach. I think the biggest problem is whenever I depress the clutch pedal, my knee hits the turn signal lever, the door panel or the steering wheel. It just ain't working!

Am I nuts to think I should switch my FAT deluxe door panels for standard panels? (of course, keeping my perfect, recently gene painter’ed deluxes) Do you think the switch will provide me with any clearance benefit? Or will it look completely goofy with my Mach upholstered high-back seats and woodgrained console. Thanks!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think you're right, it would look goofy. Being 6'4" myself, I can relate to what you're going through. I can think of two other possible solutions. You could swap to an auto trans (probably too drastic), but maybe better yet, switch to a tilt wheel. I know I have seen this conversion in the Mustang mags, and this would be an enhancement instead of a step down.

1966 GT Convertible
1969 Sportsroof (which is For Sale, by the way)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim, thanks for the input. I know all about how 6'4" can be tough....Yeah, a tilt column is part of my 2001 plans. I thought another quick fix solution might be shortening the turn signal lever - now that might look goofy.

BTW, your site is very cool. Nice '69! But like you, I've got a second mustang that's gotta go (68 ht). To me, one is enough! I too am in Dallas and am a musician for God - but since the recent birth of our first baby, I've gotten out of it. As for guitars, I'm a strat/lp/firebird player through non-master volumed, vintage tube amps. Yeeowww!!!

70 Mach 1 (351C 4V 4-speed) I've been restoring since '96. 95% complete. Also have a '68 HT (289 2-speed) that I restored between '97-98 and is FOR SALE! The VMF has proven to be an invaluable resource for information, humor and excellent advice.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have seen that there is a conversion you can make to the sheet metal that mounts the seats. It involves removing the seat and carpet and cutting out the sheetmetal and removing 1" and then welding it back up. A lot of work but I am told it gives you a lot more room.

John
Can you smellllllllalalalala........?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589508&a=12100931&p=43885808.jpg
[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm only 5'10" and my legs hit the turn signal lever,and other things as well. I have to set the seat all the way back to the furthest setting to rid myself of this problem. However,once I solved that problem a new one arose. With the seatbelt and shoulder harness on I can't reach the headlight,wiper or the ejector seat switch!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Dude, we need to hook up at one of the local "Cruises" - I bet we could chatter for hours about all the cool stuff: Mustangs, Guitars, Amps (tube, of course)!

1966 GT Convertible (see it at:http://www.geocities.com/tbeamguard/66GT.html)
1969 Sportsroof (which is For Sale, by the way)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts