Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when I gave everyone the blueprints for my 302 I was told to take back my high volume oil pump and get the standard volume because the HV causes more problems then good. Ok so I was planning on doing so. But now I am discovering that I want to do this motor the way I REALLY want it the FIRST time. I am going to make my 347 and go ahead and have the block notched and buy the 3.4" crank and 5.4" rods. Should I STILL use a standard oil pump or should I keep the HV I have bought? Thanks for all the help.......Im going to start and get this stuff taken care of today ;)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with an HV oil pump, except (as the original responses said) in a very mild stock engine.

The overpumping issue is not a problem unless you end up running at high revs a lot without either putting in some oil flow restrictors or using a big-sump pan.

1) Talk to your machinist about putting in some oil flow restrictors when you have the block done.

2) Moroso, CHP and others make a nice 7-8 quart pan that fits in a stock configuration and isn't as expensive as the Cobra pans.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I understand that it IS your motor, but as a fellow 347 stroker - I HIGHLY recommend the 5.315" rods - as your pistons wont have the cut oil ring groove in them. its still the same 3.40" stroke - just a different piston with a non-cut oil ring groove... And I too am running a HV oil pump...

just my 2¢ about the rods....

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
also - you can notch the block your self with a normal hand die grinder - it was easy. I have a ton of pics of how i notched my 302/347 stroker block that I can E-mail to you. hell, you can have all of my engine build pics if you want them since you will be doing/building the same thing... i even have pics of the main girdle install and everything. e-mail or PM me.

J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts