Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising along at about 50,in my 66/289/4v 4100 recently rebuilt, and mashed a little more on the pedal going up a hill and nothing happend. I reached over and turned the tunes off (as if that would help...lol) and when I eased off on the pedal to prepare to pull over, it caught again and went on my merry way. A couple of miles farther and it happend again, I pushed the clutch in and downshifted to 2nd and popped the clutch and away we went, but this time there was a big gas smell like major raw gas. I drove about 20 more miles and no problem. Think maybe one of the floats on the 4100 maybe stuck open and let too much gas overspill and flooded me out for a minute or so??? 2 times is kind of weird. I have a new ignition switch last year and pertronix 2 + blaster coil. I'll see how it does on the way home tonite from work. Only thing, it will be about midnite before I get home and swmbo hates it when I call and say I am stuck and need her to come and get me (it's 35 miles to work). It's only happened 2 times in about 21 years (not with the stang of course) but that can get a swmbo into high fussin' gear faster than anything after midnite. :( I do really good maintenance on all my vehicles so they won't do this, but you know how finicky these old stangs can be... :: Any ideas will be appreciated so maybe I won't get stuck in the middle of nowhere tonite :p On a side note, I remember one very cold nite about 15 yrs ago I broke down(had just left work so it was still about 30 miles to home) and I had to call swmbo to come for me,from a nearby house. When I walked up to the house, it was about 11:45 pm and I rapped on the screen door (the regular door was wide open) and looked in and saw this huge woman sitting slumped in a chair and looked down and saw a gal. of vokda sitting on the floor open and mostly empty beside her I just about turned around and bolted but the next house was a good long 1/2 mile walk in the very very dark county road. A moment later this young female(maybe 10 or 12) came to the door and just stared at me(like I was from another planet) and I requested the phone and explained why and she never said a word, just turned away and I'm like now what do I do, so I waited another few moments and she returned with the cordless phone and handed it to me (I was in my working uniform btw/name and water board utility) and I used the phone and handed it back to her with a thank you and she never said one word, just turned away and disappeared...very strange encounter, her calmness was almost surreal. Do any of ya'll have these strange encounters? A real twilight zone moment, kinda! Just curious... ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
..poor child is probably traumatized from the alcohol abuse in the house...wonder what happened with that lady and her vodka ?

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still drive right by there and have never seen the old woman again, but the kid is grown up, very large herself, and walks with a cane and a bad limp. She gets out and walks in the mornings so I see her when I go by on day shift.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like it might be the resistor wire.
My did the same thing as your's. It might
also be the ignition switch.
G/L.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts