Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a source for a punch for the little star that is in front and behind the vin number stamped on the fender apron? year of car is 68.
Ed

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked there and Grainger. One of them had it in a set, but it was big bucks! I have the letter and number set, so I hate to buy another full set just to get the star symbol. Thanks for replying sixtysevenGTconv !

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
56 Posts
sixtysevenGTconv is very close. Try this page for McMaster-Carr P/N 1574T247

$10.55 + $7.07 shipping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just re-read your post and realized you said your car was a '68. The star I found is for the '65/'66. I don't know if the symbol is the same for '68.

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
Might want to put up a want ad. If I had such a thing that I'd know I'd never use it again I would be happy to pass it along.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Why are we condoning this practice?
Unless you are doing it for fraudulent reasons or to purposely deceive it’s perfectly legal. We’ve hashed this out time and time again. Besides were someone running a chop shop they’d know how to get the bits to do it.

This isn’t directed toward you Patrick but what I find insulting to the community is when someone posts something like this or a car that could have a problematic VIN then all of the sudden the worst is assumed. Pro thieves aren’t naive enough to come on the mainstream internet and ask for help. They already know how to do it.

Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with Dave. In Idaho, restoration of the VIN is explicitly permitted. I realize not all jurisdictions are so sensible.

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 2
GENERAL
49-232. FRAUDULENT REMOVAL OR ALTERATION OF NUMBERS PROHIBITED. No person shall with fraudulent intent deface, destroy or alter the manufacturer’s serial or engine number or other distinguishing number or identification mark of a vehicle or a tractor, or other farm implement; nor shall any person place or stamp any fictitious or unauthorized serial, engine or other number of distinguishing mark with the intention that the same pass for a number or mark placed thereon by the manufacturer of the vehicle or tractor or farm implement. This section shall not prohibit the restoration by an owner or repair man of an original serial, engine or other number or distinguishing mark, but is designed to prohibit and prevent the fraudulent removal or alteration of marks or numbers placed on the vehicles or tractors and other farm implements by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Unless you are doing it for fraudulent reasons or to purposely deceive it’s perfectly legal. We’ve hashed this out time and time again. Besides were someone running a chop shop they’d know how to get the bits to do it.

This isn’t directed toward you Patrick but what I find insulting to the community is when someone posts something like this or a car that could have a problematic VIN then all of the sudden the worst is assumed. Pro thieves aren’t naive enough to come on the mainstream internet and ask for help. They already know how to do it.

Dave
There is no way on this planet you can know the OP's intentions. Patrick doesn't know they are and you don't know they aren't.

You can speculate, which you have both done though...

I will admit, when I first read the thread I thought, why would you need a star stamp....so include me in the speculation.

Allen

·
Administrator
19,793 Posts
If I sold kitchen goods I could speculate as to whether the fella asking for a really sharp chef's knife was going to go and cook a nice meal or murder his family.

I was going to get a new door tag made for my plain old six cylinder coupe that I have upgraded to a V8. You can have one made with whatever codes or VIN you want on it. But I found I was able to restore my original tag to my satisfaction. I never intended to change any numbers to indicate the car was something it isn't, I just wanted the tag restored.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You can speculate, which you have both done though...
Common sense has some to do with it as well. When a 16 year plus premium member with a validated history here asks that question that’s one thing compared to some noob with a post or two and no history asking the question.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Lol! Gypsy, you are killing me. Thanks for the laugh this morning.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm almost sorry I asked! I have owned this same car for over 45 years and have done a ground up restoration on it which included replacing fender aprons. I am 63 years old and when I am done playing with this car, it is getting passed down to my son, so I am not trying to do anything wrong here! I still have the dash vin and the door tag in place, I'm just trying to make it look right, Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I'm almost sorry I asked! I have owned this same car for over 45 years and have done a ground up restoration on it which included replacing fender aprons. I am 63 years old and when I am done playing with this car, it is getting passed down to my son, so I am not trying to do anything wrong here! I still have the dash vin and the door tag in place, I'm just trying to make it look right, Thanks all!
If the dash vin is in place the look is right.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I think it may be trial and error if you still have the old apron to compare it to. I've looked up star metal stamp and get quite a few hits in google. But trying to choose the exact correct one may be tough...

Good luck!

Allen

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
And no wrongdoing was intentionally directed at you Sir. Without back stories and a fully documented process (I.e. pictures before, during, and after), someone down the line needs to be prepared to answer some questions...whether it’s you, your son, or whomever.

Dave, speculative...maybe. Red flag...always without a fully documented history.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.